Homecoming

October 8, 2010

2010 Morningside Homecoming has so far lived up to expectation, and the best is yet to come.  The week kicked off on Monday when the Harlem Wizards came to Morningside to take on the Morningside All-stars.  The event was fun filled and the Wizards not only showed great ability at basketball, they also threw in some humor throughout the game.

On Tuesday, there was the Mr. and Mrs. Morningside Show.  This was a fun event that led to many laughs from the crowd.  Football players dressed as ladies were the main highlight of the evening.  There were also many interactive games with the crowd throughout the show.

Wednesday brought class games.  This was a chance for each class to gain bragging rights.  There were many games for the classes to compete in, and everyone had a great time.

On Thursday, there was the coronation of the king and queen of homecoming.  Terence Hancock was crowned king, and Laci Swanson was crowned queen.  Following this was the talent show. A chance for Morningside’s brightest to show off their skill for all to see.  This was very fun filled and there were crowd games throughout.

The rest of the weekend is jam-packed.  On Friday, Mission Improve Comedy Crew will be coming to Morningside.

Saturday is filled with Homecoming activities.  At two o’clock the Mustangs take on Dordt on the football field. Following the game is “A Taste of Morningside.”  This is a special event where all the local vendors bring different food for people to eat.  This is concluded with fireworks at seven-thirty.  Following these festivities is the Homecoming Dance.

Everyone that I have talked to seems excited for Homecoming.  They have enjoyed the activities and different events that have been held.  Many are also looking forward toward the rest of the week on into Saturday.  For some students, this is also a chance to meet returning Alumni and catch up.

I had a chance to interview a couple of people about Homecoming throughout the week.  I first interviewed Gene Ambroson who is the Director of Alumni Relations.  His favorite events include Taste of Morningside, and the Fireworks.  I also interviewed Terence Hancock.  He told me, “Homecoming is a great time to get together with everyone from Morningside for a couple of days.” “It’s a great time to be around Morningside and experience all that Morningside has to offer.”

6 Responses to “Homecoming”

1.   Miranda said:

This paper is very opionated. You can’t make statements that can’t be proven. You need quotes from people, there is way to much text. If you add people in there, you can make those statements. Good idea though.

2.   Reid said:

Miranda is right don’t put so much of your opinion in the articles. I also would incorporate Gene and Terrance earlier in the article.

3.   Kevin said:

-Maybe use 2nd sentence as opening. Miranda’s right the first ones an opinion.
    -Nice coverage of day to day events. Very detailed for those who weren’t there.
    -One Paragraph talks about everyone you talked to…throw a quote in there maybe or combine this paragraph and the next one where your quotes are.
    -Nice Rough Draft bro..Even if Miranda Hates you!!!

4.   lmw004 said:

As noted above about changes, but good story very detailed

5.   Michelle said:

I think that it was well written. I agree with the previous comments that there were a few too many opinions and not enough facts. Maybe you should get a quote from Gene that you got from your interview with him?

6.   Jordan said:

I like the topic choice of Homecoming. Could have used another quote or two. I haven’t been able to go to any of the events this week, so I can’t relate to some of this article.