The key to making the news? Apparently getting married “oddly.”

News Comment for November 17

Judging by these three news stories, there is no “right” time to get married, and apparently having an out-of-the-ordinary wedding is a golden ticket to getting in the news.

In this story, the scene was set in a Lewiston Rehabilitation Center, a non-typical place for a wedding for sure. The Maine couple met each other in their 60s at church and just tied the knot at the ripe old age of 87 and 88. Paul Walker is currently rehabilitating from injuray and Ann Thayer says the couple have “beautiful years” ahead of them.

Story number two for this week is about a Muslim couple that married at the ongoing Occupy Wall Street protest after meeting there several weeks ago. Both are currently students looking for work or further education.

The last interesting wedding story for this week is about a couple that met while running a marathon and tied the knot in the exact same way. Raymond Donaldson and Mary Martin got married in the middle the New York Marathon a couple weeks ago, with the help of a fellow marathon runner who happened to be a minister. Not to be outdone, another runner proposed to his girlfriend during this marathon.

In reading these three articles, I have come to the understanding that taking part in a very unique wedding could get someone in the news. However, will it get to the point that there are so many unique weddings that it no longer constitutes as”news?”

2 Responses to “The key to making the news? Apparently getting married “oddly.””

1.   fuglsang Says:

I’ll bet these stories bring out the romantic in you, don’t they, Nick. They’re features. Meant to make us feel warm and happy inside, and forget momentarily all the bad stuff that’s in the news.

As to your last question, I’m reminded of the comment I left on your “returning Iraqi soldier” comment. There are some similarities.

2.   fuglsang Says:

I guess someone else commented on all the stories about soldiers returning from Iraq/Afghanistan and staging heartwarming reunions. Definite PR angle to the many different ways these stories become news.