Even Santa Claus almost lost his job.

News comment for November 10

It’s no secret that people all across the country are feeling the pinch of the economy. Families, businesses, and governments are all facing budget shortfalls as the economy struggles to recover. However, Suffock County, New York’s decision to penny-pinch almost left children Santa-less this Christmas season.

In an effort to save $660 of their $2.7 billion dollar county budget, county executives decided to scrap Mr. Kringle from their plans for the first time in ten years.

A supporter of this idea said, “How do you justify that expenditure when a health centre is losing money?”

An opponent of the cut said, “Do we really have to hold Santa Claus hostage to balance the budget?”

Another exclaimed, “I mean, $600? Give me a break. There comes a point where you go overboard in terms of penny-pinching.”

I tend to agree with the opponents of this proposed cut from the budget. With an almost 3 billion dollar budget, a mere 660 dollars won’t even make a dent on a dent.

You can read more about this article here.

Luckily for Suffolk county kids, a New York politician has decided to foot the bill for David McKell, the man underneath the Santa suit. Whether this was out of kindness or a smooth political move, I’ll leave that up to you.

One Response to “Even Santa Claus almost lost his job.”

1.   fuglsang Says:

Is there really no other Santa in this community? When I was a kid it seemed like every store had its own Santa? No cities/counties have official Santas?