Image may contain: 3 people, including Logan English, people smiling

Growing up Logan English never had it easy. Since he was young, he spent a large amount of time in the hospital. Showing symptoms like uncontrollable shakes, sudden jerking movements, and loosing consciousness He wasn’t aware then, but Logan was showing signs of developing epilepsy.

Logan remembers how concerned his parents were when he first started developing symptoms. “I started having issues when I was around 6 or 7. I just remember one day my arms felt heavy. At the time, I didn’t think much of it. But later that night I had a sudden pain all over my body. It kind of feels like a charlie horse on your leg, just much more painful and longer-lasting. I remember trying to yell for my parents but for some reason I couldn’t. After what felt like hours the pain subsided.”

After alerting his parents they immediately went to St. Lukes Hospital. Arriving in the emergency room, they instantly were checked in and seen by an E.R. doctor. While describing his symptoms, the doctor ordered an electroencephalogram, more commonly known as an EEG.

Logan’s mother Stacy remembers the fear that she felt waiting in the hospital room. “I remember just waiting for Logan to get back from his tests. I still think it was one of the most difficult times of my life.” After her son came back from his tests she recalls the nerve-racking wait that came next. “To this day, I remember waiting for what felt like hours in that room. Finally, a group of 4 or 5 doctors came in to tell us Logan was diagnosed with epilepsy.”

His treatment plan included starting some medication to combat his condition. “We had a follow-up appointment a couple of days after the hospital visit. They wanted me to start on medication right away. But first, there are several tests you have to do before they prescribe you epileptic medicine. First I had to have a blood test to check to see if my body would be able to handle a more aggressive drug. Second I had to keep a diary of what I was feeling for the first month I was taking the medicine. This was crucial because while on my original drug I felt very tired all of the time. They ended up giving me a different drug that I still take to this day.”

Since this incident, Logan has only had a few minor problems. ” I still have a few side effects from this medication. But it is the best option that I have. Later on if my condition gets worse I can have surgery. The surgery that we have discussed before is called vagus nerve stimulation. They would put a small computer in my chest that would regulate my nervous system more efficiently. Unfortunately the surgery is very expensive even with insurance so at the moment it seems unlikely I will go through with it. Especially with a one year old boy and another child on the way.”

The drive and determination that Logan has should be a motivation to everyone. His life has certainly had its ups and downs. But he hopes to start a new chapter in his life while starting a family.