Wiener Houses

Posted on May 26th, 2013 in Restaurants by Matthew

Today we visited two local hot dog restaurants here in Sioux City. They were called Milwaukee Wiener House and Coney Island. The first one we stopped by was Milwaukee Wiener House.

When I saw the sign for the outside of this place I knew I was in for a good time. It was old and had some old school logos on it, which gave it some ambience. When we walked in I instantly felt like I was in the 50’s or 60’s going to grab a hot dog after school. Hot dog places are very particular with what they have and I know some place for example you might not want to say the word ketchup or you might get slaughtered.

It is like a cafeteria line sort of which you go down and tell them what you want. I saw a couple people order and I decided what I wanted. I ordered two chili mustard dogs. I probably would have ordered more if we weren’t going to the second wiener house. The man who was serving the line looked like one of the two owners and was very friendly.

Once I got to the register I also ordered a root beer to go with it and strawberry malt. They had a couple flavors but this is what the cashier recommended to me when I asked him. Near the register was a photo of the two owners and the host from Diners, Drive-In’s, and Dines off the Food Network channel. When I saw that, I knew I was in for a good meal.

We walked over to the next place on the list, which was Coney Island. This place apparently is the oldest running restaurant in Sioux City running since 1921. When we walked in we were greeted by the owner who was an old man working the line and his wife was helping him run the register. This place had a little bit of an older feel to it, but I also felt like I was walking into a hot dog place from the 50’s or 60’s.

From here I ordered three chili cheese dogs with onions on top and a side of fries. When I put one of these hot dogs in my mouth it was one of the best tasting hot dogs I think I’ve ever eaten. They made my moth water not wanting to wait another second to take another bite. I liked the hot dogs from the first place too but these ones just had that after taste of making me want more which the other place didn’t exactly do.

I wanted to grab a malt from the second place to compare those as well, but they didn’t serve ice cream. I wasn’t going to let that ruin my day though because I was thoroughly impressed with both places.

For presentation I would give it to the first place, it looked a little bit more kept up and professional, but for the taste I would give it to Coney Island. I will definitely be visiting that next time I go downtown.