Classmate Story Redo: A baker arises from burnt cookies

Kristine Honomichl is a sophomore basketball player at Morningside College. She’s from Denver Colorado and loves animals.

As a teenager, Morningside College Sophomore, Kristine Honomichl was unaware just how significant burning a batch of cookies would be in her life, sparking a love for baking in the end.

She comes from a family of bakers, who would always show up to holiday parties with homemade treats. But, it wasn’t until high school that Honomichl fell in love with the art of creating desserts.

“I didn’t get hooked until my freshman year of high school when I was trusted to operate the oven without burning the house down,” Honomichl joked.

One day after school, Honomichl wanted to give baking cookies by herself a try. Finding a recipe, she realized they were out of flour and made the decision the cookies would bake fine without the ingredient. 

“I put the cookies on a pan and remember thinking to myself ‘These cookies suck!’ I baked them anyways and they ended up burnt,” Honomichl said.

Even though she felt all grown up and didn’t want help from anyone, the burnt cookies proved to her that she did, indeed, need her mother’s help. 

“When I called her, she pointed out that flour is very important for cookies to bake correctly. She said that we could go to the store that night and try baking a new batch the next day,” Honomichl said.

After that incident, Honomichl had a newfound love for the challenges and satisfaction that baking presented. She continues to hone in on her passion almost five years later.

Kristine Honomichl’s dream cake creation. Honomichl has a Pinterest board titled “Cakes” that includes more than 300 pictures. Photo courtesy of Pinterest

“Now, I love baking cakes,” Honomichl said. “I’m working on the decorating part, but I really enjoy the patience and detail that goes into making a cake!”

Honomichl hopes to one day open her own bakery, where she can pursue her passion of baking and selling birthday cakes and other tasty treats.