This is what I believe

I believe that participation in activities for the youth develops life values, lifelong traits, and have a positive impact on their lives. 

Growing up I never understood why my mom would make my sister and I be a part of 4-H every year. My mom always told us, “it was good to have this experience.” I would just look at her like she was crazy because I just saw 4-H as having to sit through long boring meetings, do projects, and always have to talk to people around the community. 

Now that I am older I can relate back to these experiences and see why my mom made us be a part of 4-H and why it was a good experience being a part of an organization in my youth years. 4-H helped me shape who I am today. 

4-H has taught me three major life skills that will stick with me and I will use them for the rest of my life.  

The first skill is public speaking. During 4-H I learned how to run meetings. I was so nervous when it was my month to run a meeting. I didn’t want to get up in front of people and talk and tell everyone what needed to be done. I was so scared I was going to mess up. The more I did it, the more comfortable I got, and eventually, I wasn’t scared anymore. It was a breeze to run a meeting and communicate on what needed to be done after practicing. These public speaking skills will always serve a role in my life. 

The second skill is Healthy living. 4-H taught me building blocks that lead me to a healthy lifestyle. 

We would have clubs to teach us the basics of cooking and stitching, such as how to cook things from scratch using the tools we were given and how to stitch back up a piece of clothing if it had a hole in it. These are huge basic skills that everyone should be comfortable with. 

The third skill I learned was confidence. Instead of kids being stuck in the house all day playing on their phones, youth activities, such as 4-H get them involved in real-world situations and off the couch and help them get out of their shell to learn how to interact with people outside of their families. 4-H gave me so many opportunities to be confident by meeting new people, entering numerous contests, and speaking in front of large crowds. 

Getting youth involved in activities can help them shape who they are for the future, teaching them life long skills. This is what I believe.

One Response to “This is what I believe”

1.   fuglsang Says:

A good story, Katy. Your mom knew what she was doing. Nooomeruss!

You are better with short sentences. I can feel enthusiasm in the short sentences. It’s not there in the long drawn out sentences that have too many clauses and ask much of the listener.

If only every millennial understood the power of an active lifestyle.