Draft #1

While students at Morningside College are happy to be able to attend in-person classes this fall, there are still some concerns about COVID-19 wandering around campus.

Many different things on campus have changed since the start of the pandemic. There are seating arrangements in classes, mandatory mask mandates, and some classes are fully online now.

As Morningside is trying everything in their will power to keep the college up and running while being safe, there are still a lot of things that students think the college could do. Students are also concerned about how their plans will be affected by COVID19.

Lauren Kipp, a junior at Morningside, noticed she wasn’t feeling too well the third week of school. She went to get tested for the coronavirus. While she was waiting for her test to come back, Morningside made her move out of her apartment and live on the third floor of Dimmitt Hall until she got her test results back.

“I didn’t know what to do because I was just sent to a room and I didn’t want to leave it just in case I was negative. I didn’t want to be around positive people.”

After five days, Lauren finally got her test results back and they were positive. She learned that she had to stay in Dimmitt for another week. When she found out that she was positive she wasn’t scared to leave her room anymore to shower, walk to get her food from the lobby, etc.

“I just feel bad for people that are negative and living in the same hall as the positive people.”

“No one really knows whats going on in isolation/ quarantine floor. There isn’t guidance on what to do while we are here.”

Lauren’s fear for the future is that Morningside college is going to go fully online and things never going back how they use to be.

“It is hard doing everything online because you can’t ask a person to person questions without the whole class hearing.” Lauren said, “It is really hard being personal even being in class because when we are wearing a mask no one seems like they want to talk, and it is really hard to make friends that way.”

Emma Schmitz, a senior, says her last year isn’t going the way she expected. Emma hasn’t come in contact with anyone that has COVID-19 or been sick during this pandemic, she is taking precautions. All of Emma’s classes are face to face.

“My biggest challenge is now that back at school is making sure I am making the right decisions like staying inside when I need to.”

Emma thinks that Morningside is doing a pretty good job keeping students safe while attending on campus.

“Morningside is doing a lot better than most colleges by keeping us informed,” Emma said. “The college does put a lot of fluff to make us feel better, making the emails a lot longer than to be.”

Emma is majoring in Art Education and is worried about her future being a teacher.

“I’ve spent the last 4 years learning how to teach in the classroom and not learning other methods.”

4 Responses to “Draft #1”

1.   Hailey Says:

Katy! I think this is a really good first draft and really makes you feel connected to the reading as a fellow morningside student. One thing I will say is just be careful of certain spelling and grammar errors. I think I just found a few but just proof read and I am sure those will get taken care of. I appreciate you taking the time and interviewing a person that has had to deal with COVID while being on campus this year. These are crazy times and it is great to shed light on the concerns.

2.   Daniel Says:

I think this is a good look at how Morningside is doing with COVID. I would take a look at this again and be really looking out for spelling and grammar errors, and just making sure the article flows well. I noticed some choppy parts, and a number of errors. If you clean those up, this should be a pretty good article. Another suggestion might be to talk to someone in administration to see why they are doing certain things with regards to the COVID situation to maybe answer the question of why potentially negative and positive students are in the same hall.

3.   Matthew Says:

It looks like you have a great start on your article. The only two things that I would suggest would be to double-check a few grammatical errors. Have you considered interviewing underclassman at Morningside? It would be interesting to read the reaction of a first-year student. College is a stressful time. Particularly when you are just getting started.

4.   fuglsang Says:

I will send you my comments separately, Katy. The story is here twice.

Hailey’s first-year student suggestion could work. Partly about stress, but also expectations. My guess is that what they are experiencing is not what they expected.