Josh Meredith's Blog

Very Rough draft of paper 3 (probably should get some interviews done eh?)

Posted in Uncategorized by Joshua on the November 10, 2011

Unfortunately, our planet has a major poop problem on its hands that it needs to wash off. Sanitation is neither a sexy topic nor the human races strong suit. As the population of the world continues to creep up, the amount of waste produced by humans will also continue to creep up, or should I say out.

Approximately 2.6 billion of the over 7 billion people on earth lack any sanitation at all and more than 200 million tons of human waste goes untreated every year. We high and mighty Americans are not as safe as we think either. 90 percent of sewage is discharged directly into lakes, rivers, and oceans and our developed cities still depend on rickety old sewage systems that are easily overwhelmed by heavy rain.

All this untreated waste and sewage adds up to equal a major public health crisis theat claims one childs life every 20 seconds. Though investing in sanitation for the world is not a top peope want to bring up, it is a topic that needs to be addressed before too many more lives are lost.

Santa Cruz is experience a whale of a problem because in Santa Cruz California, they are playing Moby Dick for real. Though we Iowans often get cold temperature and snow this time of year at least we are not getting almost man eating, boat crushing and capsizing whales! The lucky people of Santa Cruz have found themselves in an unlucky situation. A pod of Humpback whales has followed in a school of anchovies and are submerging from the water to eat. News Flash People, Humpback whales don’t care if people are on top of the surface when they come up for a bite to eat. The whales have made the waters of the coast of Santa Cruz a dangerous place to be. So, think again before you plan on getting away from these cold temperatures because even though every place in the United States may seem better than Northwest Iowa, at least we Iowa have people friendly cows that give us tasty things like milk and cheese and steak, rather than 40 ton whales that will give you a destroyed boat and a possibly even a lost life.

State College, Pennsylvaina has been shook to its core for the last few days by Jerry Sandusky despicable acts towards young boys. The fall out or Sandusky’s actions have resulted in Penn State University’s board of trustees deciding to fire their head football coach Joe Paterno. Joe Pa worked for Penn St. for over 60 years. Last week college football fans were celebrating Paterno’s 409th victory. This week Paterno will be watching the Penn St. Nebraska game from his home. The inability of Penn State’s authorities to do what was morally and legally right will result in Penn St. cleaning house and result in in Joe Paterno’s  and the universities reputation being permanently tarnished.

6 Responses to 'Very Rough draft of paper 3 (probably should get some interviews done eh?)'

Subscribe to comments with RSS

1.   Andrew said,

on November 10th, 2011 at 8:11 pm

First article is good but seems to be a good amount of jokes about it.

Second article, I don’t have much interest in hearing about, maybe someone does, but still good thoughts

Third article is interesting and is all over the news right now. Look for strong opinions for articles.

2.   Claire Elyse said,

on November 10th, 2011 at 8:17 pm

The first article was kind of funny, but the only problem I see with it is having someone actually read the story. If you can deliver the story without giggling, awesome! If you start laughing, it may ruin it.

I thought the second and third stories were interesting.
    On the whale story, put “boat crushing” or “boat capsizing”… it just seemed weird that “capsizing whales” was a phrase. I had to re-read to understand that you mean. I guess it will not matter much when it’s read aloud, though!

3.   Brittany said,

on November 10th, 2011 at 8:23 pm

First couple articles are pretty interesting. I would go through and try to trim down the long sentence. There were quite a few of them!

4.   Derrick said,

on November 10th, 2011 at 8:27 pm

I would just like to say that there is nothing friendly about a cow that charges at you because you got too close to its calf.

You have a neat writing style where you can develop creative sentences with a good sense of humor, making your stories more interesting.

5.   Josh Meredith said,

on November 10th, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Thank you Derrick! Unfortunately our teacher does not like when I write with a humorous style. I seem to lose points when I do it. But my theory is that humor sells.

6.   fuglsang said,

on November 14th, 2011 at 10:35 pm

The comments are on target, I would say. You will want to shorten these a bit. Focus on what’s most important, Then get your sources in.