Trend Story Final

When it comes to shopping people are always trying to find the easiest and most affordable ways to keep up to date with popular trends. In the last 10 years the internet became the hot new way to find clothing without leaving the comfort of your cozy bed. Hundreds of shops and boutiques took to the world wide web to expand their products to more customers.

Shops like Shein, Romwe, and Zaful became trademark names for young men and women to find clothing that is both affordable and mimics designer brands that are otherwise unattainable. These online shops became the “go-to” for college kids.

“I started ordering from Shein and Zaful about a year and a half ago, and now that is where I go to get all my new clothes for the seasons. Tops range from $5 to $15 which are in my budget. Being 21 I don’t have a huge source of income so finding affordable ways to look good is always nice”, said senior, Sadie Meyerink.

Since 2020 hit, from COVID, to riots this year is going to be one that no one forgets. With millions of people closing up shop physically, and people staying in their homes online shopping is becoming even more of a popular and convenient trend.

There are pros and cons to using the brands listed above though. They may be affordable but people also have to settle for not super durable clothing, and the way it is made is less than ideal. Mass producing clothing has become a huge ecological problem, and there are tons of products that go unused and then are discarded.

Morningside recent graduate, Diego Marquez, recently started using more online shopping over quarantine and had this to say, “Zaful is so fun, I am able to find stuff that is unique to me and represents me for who I am. On top of that it is super cheap!”

With this quick easy market online shops there are other contributors such as pollution, and that is why it is so important to recycle, and thrift clothes when you can rather than supporting the high demand market that is mass producing these items. Although quarantine has left people stuck inside their homes and it has become more convenient to shop online for the environments sake it is good to be cautious of where you get your clothing and goods from.

Overall, these affordable shops are good and convenient in the short run but in the long hall it is better to be more environmentally cautious of what we are producing and how it is being produced.

One thought on “Trend Story Final

1. Begin with the COVID angle, I think, rather than convenience. The
    two go together, and both should be included. I just think right
    now it is COVID that drives how people shop. Not comfort or
    cheap prices.

Any chance you could have students/friends/siblings model the
    clothes? That would help me (and others, I assume) get a better
    idea what you’re talking about. You could probably include images
    from the online stores as long as you include a credit.