Reflection Over Article #1

After reflecting over our first article in Fundamentals of Journalism, the thing I put the most effort in was researching to make sure I had the best supporting content. From Google Scholar, to credible news sources I really wanted to make sure I had a solid case built up to support my claim that social media causes increases in mental illnesses.

One thing that I wish I would have spent more time on is structuring the article better. After looking it over I feel like it is kind of scattered and I wish I would have put more thought into what information is the most important and layer it down from there.

Furthermore, the most difficult part of Article #1 was finding a topic to write about, and then not make it sound like a research paper. I have written several research papers, and only a handful of good research articles so it was hard to not blur the structure of them.

The previous paragraph builds on the biggest problem I had while writing this article. I struggle with getting to the point, my sentences are typically longer than they should be, and I overuse commas. These are things that I would really like to build on and get better at as the course continues.

Overall, I enjoyed the assignment. I haven’t written an article in a few years and I really missed it. I look forward to gaining knowledge in becoming a better journalist as the year goes on.