Loving Myself Every Day

Paper 3 Final

Almost fifteen percent of couples, who marry, meet in college.  That may not seem like a lot, but when you consider the fact that only 62 percent of people get married, that is a little under a quarter.  But dating in college can be very difficult. 

Kate Nelson, a senior, just got out of a 5-year long relationship and is now dating again.  She said that it’s been fun though.  “I’ve actually gotten to know some guys that I probably wouldn’t have even talked to before,” Kate said.  “And I’ve become pretty good friends with some of them.”

In some ways, though staying in a relationship would have been easier.  ”When I was in a relationship, I knew where I was going to be after college,” Kate said.  “I had a house to move into, where I wouldn’t have to pay rent, and I would have had a little longer to find a job. “ 

That change has been something of a challenge for Kate.  “It’s tough because I’m doing everything on my own,” she added.  “I don’t have the comfort I used to have.”

The change into a single girl is also challenging.  Kate had a couple of dating horror stories to share.  “One guy I met at the radio station and we hung out like two times,” Kate said with a quiet giggle.  “He must have thought I was really into him because he started planning our future together.  It was kind of creepy.”

Chris Stutzriem, a college football player, also commented on dating during college.  He cited maturity as a big difference between dating in high school and dating in college. He had one serious relationship during his college years; an 8-month long relationship while he was attending the University of Wyoming.  “There is just way less time to date in college,” he said.  “There isn’t enough down time.” 

Chris also commented on his style of dating.  “I don’t really go looking for dates, if we meet wherever and hit it off then maybe go somewhere from there.”

There are also different levels of dating.  If a couple says they’re talking, that means they are just getting to know each other.  They may have just met or exchanged phone numbers.  The next step up is seeing each other.  Which means exactly what it sounds like, a couple may be going out on dates and spending time together, but not exclusively.  They could be seeing other people too.  If the couple decides to become exclusive, they are in a relationship; boyfriend and girlfriend.

One couple at Morningside College consists of Kathleen and Andrew.  They met through a friend almost seven months ago.  “The most difficult part about dating in college,” Kathleen says, “is balancing classes, work, and homework, and time with him. “

Time management hasn’t been their only challenge.  Kathleen says their biggest obstacle is her independence.  “I’m a very independent person and I’m not used to having to sharing my life with someone else.”

But they get through it.  Kathleen said that the best way to overcome their obstacle is communications.  “And having him tell me that he’s there for me and I don’t have to do everything on my own,” she adds.

Regardless of your relationship status, dating in college is hard.  It’s not just about what you wear or where you go on the date; some personalities just don’t mesh.  The point is, there is someone out there for everyone, you just have to kiss a few frogs first.