Nov
25

Weekly News Comment #13

Filed Under (Uncategorized) by Emily on 25-11-2011

http://news.yahoo.com/woman-pepper-sprays-other-black-friday-shoppers-110009506.html

Today is Black Friday, but I will not be shopping in any “big box” stores. I am relaxing, eating Thanksgiving leftovers (yum, pumpkin pie!), and blogging in my Hello Kitty pajamas. The desire to wake up at 5 a.m., stand in long lines both inside and outside the store just to rush around and save a few bucks on stuff made in China is completely lost on me. The mall can wait.

Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE to shop. But this article is a perfect example of America’s excessive commercialism when it comes to Christmas. Last year on Black Friday, a person was killed after being trampled in a stampede at a Wallmart. Are Americans so consumed with getting what they want (but don’t need) that they will act like a herd of buffalo? Apparently.

I have a few questions regarding the article: Is there extra security at stores participating in Black Friday? What area of LA is this Wallmart located? Did this woman just happen to have pepper spray, or did she bring it just for going shopping? How did the police let her get away?  

I’m surprised that the store stayed open and everyone acted as if nothing happened. Oh, I think I know! It’s because if they closed the store, they would not get as much consumers’ money, and they opened ON Thanksgiving day, so people can start buying stuff even earlier.

Christmas is about spending time with loved ones, taking a break from being stressed out, and, most importantly, celebrating the birth of Jesus.

2 Comments Already, Leave Yours Too

fuglsang on 28 November, 2011 at 9:34 pm #

Follow-up stories suggest the woman really wanted an X-Box, and she got one. She also wasn’t charged, though I don’t know why. I didn’t read the story all that closely yesterday. Pepper spray has become a topic for news, so be looking for it.

Tim on 1 December, 2011 at 4:38 am #

It’s amazing some of the greed and willingness to hurt others a person will stoop to just to obtain material items at a sale price. It makes me sick. This woman should go to jail for what she did!