Oct
01

Weekly News Comment #5

Filed Under (Uncategorized) by Emily on 01-10-2011

http://news.yahoo.com/5-severed-heads-found-mexico-resort-acapulco-234607521.html

Just the headline of this story makes me cringe.

I think it is horrific that the drug wars are so widespread that not even innocent children are safe. No children should be exposed to such violence and gore. I hope the children are able to confide in a trustworthy adult so they do not have to be consumed by fear. A school should be a place where students feel safe, free to be themselves, and free to learn. How are children supposed to learn if their schools are not safe?

I believe that greed is at the heart of the drug wars. People want money so badly will trade drugs to get it, regardless of who is hurt or even killed in the process. The question “What can be done to stop this violence?” does not have an easy answer. Is it stricter border control? U.S. government intervention?

On a much lighter note, this short article raises the recent issue of Yahoo news articles being too short. I have read comments from readers saying that they feel Yahoo is leaving out important details, not showing pictures that would provide clarity. Maybe Yahoo needs a refresher: the 5 W’s and an H. Who, what, where, when, why and how. Yahoo, remember that while your readers appreciate short articles, they also want to be informed.

3 Comments Already, Leave Yours Too

fuglsang on 4 October, 2011 at 2:06 am #

Yahoo as the internet equivalent of People magazine.

Greed. One of the original seven. If you wanted to give me more information on this issue, where would/could you send me?

Dax on 6 October, 2011 at 4:05 am #

There will be no more killing only when death itself has been killed. There is an easy answer, it’s just that no one wants to hear it; especially the governments of the world who are the leaders in greed and murder.

Nadav on 10 October, 2011 at 7:42 am #

It’s not greed per se, it’s the fear of loss of income. Drug dealers don’t want to lose their income, and since drugs are illegal anyway they use illegal methods to preserve their money.

Nadav