Sep
01

Descriptive on campus assignment

Filed Under (Uncategorized) by Emily on 01-09-2011

The statue is outside the main doors of the library. It is quite tall; it towers over me and is at least two and a half or three feet taller than I (I’m 5′ 4). I notice a small plaque alongside the statue. It reads: Obelisk III, Sculptor: Tom Gibbs, Presented by Psi Chi, the National Honor Society in Psychology 1989, Morningside College Historic District, Plaque donated in memory of Jon Langley ’98.

There is a cluster of shapes at the bottom of the statue, and fewer as it goes up. The statue is thin and has mostly square, angular shapes. The only circular shapes are the ones carved into man made objects. There are wheels on a machine, a plumbing pipe, and a unidentifiable cylindrical shape.

I touch the statue. It is not as painfully hot to the touch as I expected. It feels mostly smooth, except for a few spots that have peeled in the blistering summer sun. I get closer to the statue and I smell it. It smells slightly like iron, but the most prevalent smell is fresh mowed grass.

I step back from the statue and walk around it a few times. The shadow is long, and it looks like a gnome wearing a dunce hat, holding several square objects in his hands. I sit down on the grass. In the middle of the statue, there are letter shaped holes that have been cut out. One looks like a “k” and the other could be an “o”.

4 Comments Already, Leave Yours Too

Kyle on 7 September, 2011 at 7:07 pm #

Hi, great description of the statue, we all need to “stop and smell the statue” more often to relax and be more aware of our surroundings.
thanks

Stephane Smith on 21 October, 2011 at 8:01 pm #

I agree Emily ands Kyle, jsut stopping and taking in the fresh air can be a great stress buster.

Mel on 31 October, 2011 at 9:57 pm #

I like this statue…

George on 8 November, 2011 at 1:05 pm #

I like your blog very much. Please update it as soon as possible.