Article #2 Draft

As the school year is getting on its way, that means all the students are back together and are in person again. COVID-19 is still an issue in the world as the country is still in a pandemic. What is Morningside University doing to handle COVID-19.

COVID-19 has been in the country for over a year and a half now. The country shut down in March of 2020, and many had to adjust. Morningside College at the time adjusted by going online for the second half of the 2020 Spring Semester. In fall of 2020, the were back in person, but went to a hybrid schedule to help enforce social distancing. They also had a mask mandate and had certain rooms set aside for those who were exposed to the Coronavirus. In spring of 2021, most classes went back to fully in person, but a mask mandate was still enforced. This fall Morningside College switched to Morningside University. This semester there really are not many COVID-19 guidelines. All courses are resuming in person, and there is no mask mandate by the University, although professors can still enforce the mandate for their classes if they choose.

As more and more people are getting vaccinated, Morningside University is offering an incentive for students to get vaccinated. The University is offering $50 book store credit for those who get vaccinated by November 1st. Would this make students at Morningside University feel more inclined to getting the Vaccine? Student Beau Panzer said “I appreciate the school for trying, but $50 gets you a sweatshirt. One sweatshirt with the Morningside Logo stamped onto it isn’t going to help persuade many people to get vaccinated.”. Panzer also issued his concern with the vaccine. ” The more I read about the vaccine, the more I do not feel content getting it. I have my doubts about the effectiveness of the vaccine. I also do not know the long term risks getting the vaccine could put me in.” Another student, Jordan Gano voiced his concerns on how he feels pressure to get the vaccine. Gano stated “I know very little about the vaccine, I just think it feels a bit strange that the Government is pushing for everyone to be Vaccinated.”. A couple of sources who chose to remain anonymous feel like everything COVID-19 related has to do with population control. Jacob Mitchell, who is vaccinated said getting the Vaccine had nothing to do with the Morningside incentive. “…I chose to receive the vaccine for my own reasons. The $50 did not appeal to me very much. I will still use the $50 because I am going to receive it, but that is not why I chose to get the vaccine.”. Mitchell then went on to give his thoughts on how the University can make an incentive program that would appeal to more people. He said “If they really wanted their campus to be vaccinated, they would cut the costs of food or tuition. Instead they went with something that just is not all that appealing.”

While it seems the incentive program doesn’t seem to be the best choice Morningside could offer, students are still getting vaccinated. If students are vaccinated, they might as well use the incentive the University is offering because it is there for them to use.