Friday, April 19, 2024

Honors-Sexism

November 5, 2011 by  
Filed under Uncategorized

This article gave insight to sexism and how it was used in the last elections.  Hillary Clinton and Sarah Palin faced a huge task if they wanted to get to the white house because of all the sexism against them.  The media is relentless whenever they see the chance to put someone down in the political world.  This was very easy for them with Palin and Clinton because they could be sexist and get away with it.  Our culture still accepts sexism and I would say most people in our country are still slightly sexist.  Sexism fought against the two in a few different ways.  Ex.–As being motherly, as being like a child or pet, and if they were a strong woman or not.  Sexism did have a role in the elections whether either of the two would have been elected or not based on their platform and beliefs for this country.

Sexism in this article would be described as stereotypes against a sex (mainly women) that show that sex as less powerful or competent.  We do still have an issue with sexism in our country today.  This article shows exactly how woman can be scrutinized in an unfair way just because they are women.  I do believe we as a country have come a long ways, but sexism still stabs at women when they want to make a difference.  The media today is a very harmful resource that we have.  These people go way too far with their radical views and comments that are geared just to start talk and controversy.  The problem comes in when the American public believes the media.  This may be one huge reason President Obama was elected.  Palin and Clinton were torn apart in the media and we realize that.  So let’s move on as a country and forget that…we will be fair to women candidates from now on right?  Wrong.  It’s happening again in the media now.  Michele Bachman is receiving the same media sexism as the previous two did.  She is treated like an incompetent crazy child who has no clue what she is talking about.  The media takes everything she says out of context and air it to fit their comedy bit on how crazy she is.  Guess what, our public is buying it too.  Most people think she is a looney and they have never heard or seen her speak.  Does that make sense?  She is a very smart woman with strong beliefs.  She should be recognized just as much as Mitt Romney, but the media takes a hold of public view and skews our thoughts.

As American citizens, we need to do something about this.  We need to get ourselves informed.  We can’t just believe the media.  We need to create our own views based on what we hear from sources other than the media.  Sexism is slowly going away, but we see uproars of it many times.  We need to stop this and realize that everyone is equal.  We know this; we just don’t grasp it.  I don’t believe that our country needs a female leader at some point.  I just believe gender should be thrown out of the picture.  We need a leader that will take us in the right direction, male or female.  If we don’t inform ourselves and get rid of sexism, our country is in for a rough go until we stop being ignorant and start being just and rational decision makers.

Comments

9 Responses to “Honors-Sexism”
  1. Brenda says:

Do you have a suggestion about how people should get their news? What forms of media should be trusted? If none, then how do we get our information?

2. Evan says:

Drew, you are right sexism is still alive. I will admit I’m guilty of it such as the other day when I said Anna, ” what time is it” and she looked at her phone and I said ” you should just look at the clock on the oven” that was wrong and like I said slightly sexist. I think at the same time guys see those same jokes like when girl call men pigs or lazy, well that being just a little sexist.
    You so right when you say the media tears apart women running for office. We have already seen what they are doing to Michelle Bachman. Honestly I like her she has awesome points and wants to get the country going the right way.But every wants to protect Obama so they go in and crucify her. I love watching the You Tube clips everyone of them that I have seen is taken out of context. Well duh Mrs. Bachman won’t make sense when you just start pulling random words out of speeches. This is all thank you.

3. Im not sure why but this weblog is loading incredibly slow for me. Is anyone else having this issue or is it a problem on my end Ill check back later and see if the problem still exists.

4. Demetrius says:

I absolutely love your site.. Great colors & theme. Did you create this site yourself? Please reply back as I’m wanting to create my own personal website and want to find out where you got this from or just what the theme is called. Cheers.

5. Jonnie says:

Having read this I believed it was really informative. I appreciate you spending some time and energy to put this short article together. I once again find myself personally spending way too much time both reading and commenting. But so what, it was still worth it!

6. This website was… how do I say it? Relevant!! Finally I’ve found something which helped me. Thanks.

7. Howdy very nice blog!! Man .. Excellent .. Wonderful .. I will bookmark your website and take the feeds additionallyÖI am satisfied to search out numerous helpful info right here within the post, we need develop extra strategies in this regard, thank you for sharing.

8. dom says:

A very helpfull post A big thank you I wish you dont mind me writting about this article on my website I will also leave a linkback Thanks

9. How can math and science skills contribute to the long-term sustainability of a state?