Thursday, April 25, 2024

The Covenant Walk

October 22, 2011 by  
Filed under Passport/Intro. to Religion

In class we have talked about the Western religions and how they have come from Abraham.  We have talked a lot about how God promised the land to Abraham’s people.  This covenant came up in the church service I attended this past week.  The pastor talked about the different myths in the bible of covenant walks.  In a covenant walk, an animal is sacrificed and split in two.  The two halves are placed in opposite directions a distance apart and someone or people walk through to make a covenant or remember a covenant.  This is supposed to symbolize the cutting of  covenant and what will happen to you if you break the covenant.  It symbolizes the cutting of your life (death).  When God made the covenant of the land to Abraham, God performed a covenant walk.  He split a three-year-old heifer, a three-year-old female goat, and a three-year-old ram.  Abraham was sent into a dark sleep and when he woke up, he saw a burning torch pass between the halves of the sacrifices.  On the same day, God made the promise of the land to Abraham.  The torch was a symbol of God’s commitment to the covenant.

5 Responses to “The Covenant Walk”
  1. Evan says:

I just a church lesson and I didn’t even have to go to church. Now I can sleep in on sun day 🙂 Great post, like how you thought broader pretty awesome keep it up bro!!!

2. McKayla says:

I think maybe i was to involved in popping my popcorn because i dont remember him talking about that part. But thank you for filling me in Drew!! 🙂

3. McKayla says:

I think maybe i was to involved in popping my popcorn because i dont exactly remember him talking about that haha but thank you for filling me in Drew! 🙂

4. McKayla says:

Oops sorry Drew didnt mean to post that twice! hehe

5. I am typically to blogging and i truly appreciate your posts. This article has really peaks my interest. I am about to bookmark your site and maintain checking achievable information.