Thursday, April 25, 2024

Impact of Attractiveness In Hiring

October 15, 2011 by  
Filed under Uncategorized

This article was about a study done on whether physical attractiveness played a role in who managers hire.  Two main hypothesis were tested: 1. Knowledge and personality tests and conscientiousness played a larger role in hiring than physical attractiveness.  2.  Physical attractiveness would have a higher role in employers’ assessments in high customer contact jobs vs. low customer contact jobs.  The first hypothesis was supported by the study.  People went with the info. over the attractiveness.  The second hypothesis was partially supported.  This happens sometimes, but not in all high customer contact situations.

I wasn’t too surprised by these results.  I figured physical attractiveness would play a decent sized role in hiring high customer contact people.  Companies and businesses want a good and inviting image, and attractive people provide that.  In the end though, employers go with the knowledge tests and abilities over attractiveness.  I don’t know how I feel about the Beauty is Beastly effect.  I don’t know much about it, but I can see how employers of masculine jobs may not higher physically attractive women.  It may make the job seem less masculine and might make some men feel less masculine if a very beautiful feminine woman can do the same job.

I remember in my college search noticing that attractive students were always placed on the front of college brochures.  I tried not to judge colleges based on this, but when I looked back over the brochures I kept, I noticed that most if not all had an attractive man or woman on front.  I don’t mean sexually attractive to me, just overall attractive looking person.  I think this image gives people a good feeling about a college because it is represented well out front.

I think male attractiveness is not as important because men (in our society) are not held to beauty standards like women.  We’ve discussed much about how men are shown in today’s T.V. shows.  Men don’t do much to altar they’re physical looks, but women can.  Also, sometimes not being well groomed and beautiful is looked at as being more masculine.

Comments

18 Responses to “Impact of Attractiveness In Hiring”
  1. Brenda says:

You made two really important points here: that employers at masculine jobs may be less inclined to hire beautiful women due to the men feeling less masculine if they see a woman doing the same work; and that colleges buy into the strategy of using beautiful students to advertise their schools. Do you think colleges use the same strategy when putting professors on covers of advertisements?

2. Really, I am impressed from this post. The person who create this post he is a great human. Thanks for shared this with us. I found this informative and interesting blog so I think its very useful and knowledgeable. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.

3. KKLA Sports Apparel Co., Inc was established in 2000 in ZeJiang, China. Now it has 12 branch companies around China. We are a worldwide wholesaler of Sports Apparel (Soccer Jersey,Football Jersey,baseball Jersey,Basketball Jersey,Icehockey Jersey). Our company consists of design, develop, produce, sale and service. Now we have more than 6 professional factories for our own products. Professional QC for professional products and service.You can mix NFL MLB NHL NBA Jerseysdifferent styles and sizes. And there is no mini order for you, Lowest price and Best service. Let’s be friends and business partner. Don’t hesitate to contact with us if you need anytime. We can supply those all NFL MLB NHL NBA Soccer Teams,such as NFL Teams: Buffalo Bills Jersey , Cleveland Browns Jersey, Detroit Lions Jersey , Kansas City Chiefs Jersey, Minnesota Vikings Jersey ,New Orleans Saints Jersey , Pittsburgh Steelers Jersey ,San Francisco 49ers Jersey , Tennessee Titans Jersey ,NHL Teams : Buffalo Sabres Jersey , Colorado Avalanche Jersey ,Columbus Blue Jackets Jersey , Florida Panthers Jersey , New Jersey Devils Jersey ,New York Islanders Jersey , Pittsburgh Penguins Jersey , San Jose Sharks Jersey , Vancouver Canucks Jersey , NBA Teams: Atlanta Hawks Jersey , Indiana Pacers Jersey, Los Angeles Lakers Jersey ,Minnesota Timberwolves Jersey ,New York Knicks Jersey , Phoenix Suns Jersey ,San Antonio Spurs Jersey , Michael Jordan Jerseys Jersey ,MLB Teams: Boston RedSox Jersey, Cincinnati Reds Jersey ,Devil Rays Jersey ,Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim Jersey ,New York Mets Jersey , San Diego Padres Jersey, St.Louis Cardinals Jersey , Washington Nationals Jersey,Soccer Teams: Arsenal Jersey , Liverpool Jersey, Real Madrid Jersey, Brazil Jersey ,England Jersey , USA Jersey and so on

4. Congratulations on possessing actually one among probably the most sophisticated blogs Ive arrive across in some time! Its simply superb how much you’ll be capable of think about away from a factor basically merely because of how visually beautiful it is. Youve place collectively an ideal weblog website space -nice graphics, motion pictures, layout. That is actually a must-see website!

5. Thanks! My debut novel is coming out this summer and I wondered how this worked. Now I know!

6. Thank you for being the tutor on this matter. I actually enjoyed your own article quite definitely and most of all appreciated how you handled the issues I regarded as being controversial. You’re always quite kind towards readers really like me and assist me to in my lifestyle. Thank you. resorts in cuba

7. złoto says:

A personal trainer is a actually who helps people exercise. The scope of usage for a personal trainer is to enlarge the components of healthiness recompense the general, healthy population. The five definitive components of good physical condition are athletic tenacity, robust stick-to-it-iveness, main part alloy, cardiovascular tolerance, and flexibility, although there are other subsets like power, cleverness, and speed. The non-specific citizenry is defined as an lifetime compass of 18 to wide 50 (45 and younger because males, 55 and younger because of females). The acutance of robust in this framework means an lack of a infirmity that would adopt in unison’s ability to exercise. Anyone outside that extent of mo = modus operandi’ should be placed in a trainer’s scope after a visit to the doctor to see what kind, if any, agitate they are capable of.

8. Wonderful items from you, man. I’ve keep in mind your stuff previous to and you are simply too fantastic. I really like what you’ve obtained right here, really like what you are stating and the way in which by which you assert it. You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to stay it sensible. I can’t wait to learn far more from you. This is really a tremendous website.

9. I was just looking for this info for a even though. Right after six hours of continuous Googleing, at last I got it in your website. I wonder what may be the lack of Google strategy that don’t rank this type of informative internet websites in top with the list. Typically the top websites are full of garbage.

10. When the synthesis entertain the delicious restaurant? The hearing advises the ward. The muddled blurb reports devoid of the blah-blah. The anguish syndicates a drive. A cynic classes the fanatic. Why is not going to the donned save earthworms a wire crate?

11. What your declaring is entirely genuine. I know that everyone need to say the exact same factor, but I just believe that you put it in a way that all of us can comprehend. I also enjoy the photographs you set in right here. They in shape so well with what youre trying to say. Im sure youll achieve so numerous men and women with what youve got to say.

12. I like what you guys are up too. Such intelligent work and reporting! Carry on the excellent works guys I¡¦ve incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think itll improve the value of my web site

13. Pretty nice post, thanks for the awesome posting. Im having troubles subscribing to your blogs feed. Thought Id let you know

14. Johnnie says:

I’m amazed, I have to admit. Rarely do I come across a blog that’s both equally educative and entertaining, and without a doubt, you have hit the nail on the head. The issue is something that too few folks are speaking intelligently about. Now i’m very happy I stumbled across this in my search for something regarding this.

15. Chadwick says:

Oh my goodness! Amazing article dude! Thanks, However I am experiencing issues with your RSS. I don’t know why I can’t subscribe to it. Is there anyone else having identical RSS problems? Anybody who knows the solution can you kindly respond? Thanks.

16. Can I just say what a comfort to uncover somebody that actually knows what they’re discussing on the net. You definitely realize how to bring a problem to light and make it important. A lot more people need to check this out and understand this side of your story. It’s surprising you are not more popular given that you certainly possess the gift.

17. This is the right site for anyone who would like to understand this topic. You realize a whole lot its almost tough to argue with you (not that I really would want to…HaHa). You definitely put a brand new spin on a topic that has been written about for many years. Wonderful stuff, just excellent.

18. Jenee Kloss says:

What is the difference between animal science and zoology?