Friday, April 19, 2024

Sacred Center. Do I Have One?

September 15, 2011 by  
Filed under Passport/Intro. to Religion, Uncategorized

All of our studying about Eliade’s model of pilgrimage has me thinking a lot about how the axis mundi is that one spot where people of a religion feel the closest connection to the heavens.  This place is like the ladder to God/the gods.  It was very easy to learn this as a concept, but it took me awhile to take it into reality.  When I did start thinking about this concept in our world, I started thinking about my own religious life.  I questioned myself:  Do I have a sacred center where I feel closer to God?  If I do, where is it and do I tend to be drawn there?

After I thought about these questions for awhile, I really couldn’t think of that one place.  I have had many different places where I feel closest to God.  I have gone to an FCA camp, a mission trip, concerts, and my home church services, but I can’t say one is my sacred center.  I also have prayed a lot in my room at my house, but again, I can’t say I feel closer to God there more than these other places.  My faith has been like a roller coaster with its many ups and downs most of my life.  I can’t help but wonder if this may be because I don’t have that one sacred place.  I can’t run to one spot and feel closer to God in my prayer or bible study.  I don’t know if having a sacred center would make my faith stronger and more consistent, but I think finding one is worth giving consideration.

Comments

2 Responses to “Sacred Center. Do I Have One?”
  1. Taylor says:

Drew, what a great blog. I honestly thought the same thing after learning about axis mundi. Do I have a sacred center? In fact, I decided, I do. At my grandparents house there is a tree, it’s a great climbing tree. When I was younger whenever I got into trouble or got mad I would climb the tree and stay there until my dad had to physically come get me down. I’m pretty sure I fell asleep in the tree a few times and my dad carried me back inside. As I got older, I would sit in the tree (it had a perfect branch to sit and lean against like a recliner, no joke) to read or just to think. I believe that is my sacred center. I think the combination of being outside and having seen the tree since I was a child. I never felt close to God in a building, I have to be outside. Honestly though I don’t think you have to have one sacred center and maybe you have one and you don’t know yet. Anyway, I loved reading your blog and I really like your writing style. I will probably be reading your blog again!

2. Im very happy to read this. This is the type of manual that needs to be given and not the accidental misinformation thats at the other blogs. Appreciate your sharing this greatest doc.