Saturday, April 20, 2024

Honors-Liking What You See

September 10, 2011 by  
Filed under Uncategorized

Liking What You See was about a fictional story in which different characters argued over a student initiative whether students should be required to have a calliagnosia or not.  A calliagnosia was an alteration in the neural pathways in the brain that changed the way people looked at other’s faces.  Natural physical beauty was no longer noticeable.  Blemishes, abnormal features, and abnormal symmetry were not noticed in the face with the calli.  This created social equality based on looks.  People could no longer judge based on appearance.  In this short story, many points of view were shared on the subject.  The different characters gave their thoughts and feelings on whether to support the student initiative or not.

We have many social issues that deal with physical appearances today.  The people that support the calli have very good reasons to support the student initiative.  It surely would even out the playing field in many areas of our lives, but if this was a real issue today, I would support not making getting a calli a requirement.  If everyone would get a calli today, our world would be totally different.  We would not see true physical beauty in human beings.  I believe this is a huge problem.  Beauty is not something that should be hidden.  Everyone is physically beautiful in their own way.  This is why nobody is totally attracted to the same type of people.  I’m not saying attractiveness is totally based on physical beauty, but it does help.  You are supposed to think some of the opposite sex is very attractive.  If callis were to be placed on everyone, everybody’s natural beauty would be lost.  Every person’s face would give you the same feeling.  Such a beautiful aspect of life would be lost.

Some other good points were brought up in the story.  Placing a calli on all students would cause somewhat of an Orwellian feeling.  In 1984, George Orwell depicts a society in which differences were not supposed to be picked out.  Individualism was not accepted.  If everyone would have a calli, the individualism of beauty would be lost and it could be a step towards the Orwellian society.  Also in the reading, one character points out that enforcing having a calli would just be ignoring the social problem.  They would just be blinding themselves.  It is better to straight up fight the social issue instead of being blind.  No matter what, not everyone would get a calli, and the social issue of discrimination based on physical appearance would still exist.

5 Responses to “Honors-Liking What You See”
  1. Brenda says:

You mentioned that if all people had calli, then individualism of beauty would be lost. Do you think that other aspects of our personalities would then be prompted to play a larger role in making us stand out as individuals? In other words, if our brains no longer recognize differences in beauty, would they focus on other differentiating aspects instead?

• Samson says:

I do agree with the fact that we have social issues that deal with physical appearances today. But do you think that the reason why people have calli is because society has made them accept the fact that they have no beauty and that they aren’t going to find someone who likes them for their true inner beauty? or is it simply just to see everyone in the same light, everyone looks the same, which isn’t necessary true at times.

2. Im glad I found your article. I would never have made sense of this topic on my own. Ive read a few other articles on this subject, but I was confused until I read yours.

3. Bloghopping is really my forte and i like to visit blogs   

4. Denna Goudge says:

taxes for education go to who? then goes to who? how does the money trickle down? how come lower income neighborhoods have poor schools? does the school system effect poverty? how?.