Thursday, April 18, 2024

Salvation Purpose and Audience

August 26, 2011 by  
Filed under Passport/Intro. to Religion

Langston Hughes wrote “Salvation” as a part of his biography to show a huge event in his childhood that changed  his life forever.  He did not want to just express the feelings he had during the event; he wanted to show what and who had changed his life.  Hughes wasn’t necessarily criticizing his aunt and other adults in the passage.  He of course did not agree with what they were doing, but that wasn’t the major point of his narration.  He showed how the pressure of adults has such a huge impact on a child’s life.  Every human has the natural inclination to conform, but children especially want to conform.  With as much pressure as Langston had on him, there was no way he could not conform.  Langston also showed how different generations do not understand each other.  The adults pressed the children to accept Jesus thinking the natural occurrence would take place, but they did not realize that the children would conform so easily even if they had not accepted or seen Jesus.  You can see the effect of the pressure in the passage when there were only two boys left on the bench, Langston and Westley.  Westley said, “God damn! I’m tired o’ sitting here.  Let’s go up and be saved.”  Westley went up in front of the church and was “saved.”  He wasn’t really saved, but the pressure from the congregation got to the child.  The same basic thing happened to Langston eventually.  Young children simply look to appease their elders.  Of course these children were going to conform even if they did not accept Jesus with that much pressure.

Comments

12 Responses to “Salvation Purpose and Audience”
  1. James S. says:

Lagston Hughes was by far one of the most influential writers of the 20th century. His work is full of depth and meaning. Such an interesting exploration of these important issues.

2. złoto says:

A sweater is usually put on a child when the parent feels chilly.

3. Windykacja says:

Do you want my website?

4. Windykacja says:

Hey I was just reading your website on my Pantech Phone and I was thinking about how well it will work on the new ipad thats coming out. Fleeting thought…. Anyway thanks!

5. buy valtrex says:

I can see that you are an expert in this area

6. Even though I didn’t receive a business degree, I actually enjoyed learning about business economics.

7. Zanea.pl says:

This site on smartphone is not so good like on laptop. Please, correct it…

8. Daily Blog says:

Please let me know if you’re looking for a article author for your site. You have some really great posts and I believe I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d absolutely love to write some articles for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please shoot me an e-mail if interested. Many thanks!

9. vasdggqwea says:

Fun article, I actually benefited from reading it, keep doing all the good work.

10. Emerson Kral says:

Many thanks for the insightful article. I found it very insightful, keep up the great posts.

11. Comfortabl y, the article is in reality the sweetest on this notable topic. I concur with your conclusions and also will eagerly look forward to your coming updates. Simply just saying thanks can not simply be sufficient, for the fantasti c clarity in your writing. I will certainly correct away grab your rss feed to stay privy of any kind of updates. De lightful work and also much success in your business endeavors!

12. Its seldom that I feel compelled to comment on articles, but youre material is contentworthy. Thank you for being so conscientious about what you write.