The Blog of Courtney Klocke

News Comment: ‘You Better Own This’: How Rami Malek Came To Embody Freddie Mercury

The transformation for Rami Malek into Freddie Mercury was anything but easy. Malek soon figured out no one could truly embody Mercury with his unique vocal range and appearance, but Malek studied him to get as close as he could. It turns out the singing was primarily Mercury’s voice but Malek’s voice would begin most of the songs so it was a seamless transition. Malek went all in on Mercury’s persona with copying Mercury’s mannerisms with his buck teeth and by having the costume designer make another leotard to complete his look.

I think this feature story was very well written with highlighting the interview of Malek on being Freddie Mercury. It shows how difficult it is to become someone for a role and how the actor really needs to embody their character to make it look like they truly are the character. The quotes honestly make the feature what it is because otherwise it wouldn’t really have substance. I was really impressed with the article especially after I recently saw the movie.

This is a hybrid of story types. Initially it was a Q&A. But then boiled down to the best moments for the broadcast.