I see, but do I perceive?

Media Comparison

https://abcnews.go.com/US/thousands-california-brace-planned-blackout-high-winds-persist/story?id=66470492&cid=clicksource_4380645_null_headlines_hed

The organization of the video frames the power outages as more human interest. It focuses on individual business owners and how they are preparing for the outages. The article below is more about impact. It talks about how many people are being affected and how the outages started. The two different frames give the two different content. There is no background at all in the video. It states the outages are for “safety” but doesn’t go any deeper than that. While the sources for the video are the two business owners, the article has quotes from the Pacific Gas and Electric, the one’s behind the outages. The video mostly just showed people, while the article has images of the blackout. I find the pictures of the blackout much more engaging and more informative. The video just felt like it was filler. Also, both sources lack any input from those extremely impacted, like hospital patients. It’s like a veil of normalcy.

Yes, broadcast, especially TV, is going to play on emotions and less on experts. There are also going to be dramatic standups for the reporters. The broadcast focuses on the next 24 hours; it even includes a weather/wind forecast.

I’m not sure what you mean by veil of normalcy. The fires? Considering how often these fires happen, there probably is a standard story format. PG&E turning of the electricity? It’s possible people have even accepted the inevitability of that.

© 2024 Calissa Writes

Theme by Anders NorenUp ↑