Gun

Two armed men robbed BJ’s Drug last night around 8:30 p.m and made off with an undisclosed amount of money.  Barney Joseph Jr., 43, owner of the store, said two men walked into his store around 8:30 p.m. wearing ski masks and immediately pointed a gun at him while the other masked man stole the cash from the register.  Barney says that the two men drove away with a car that was parked at the front of the store, the robbery took less than a minute.  After further investigation, police found out that Barney keeps a pistol under the counter but he chose not to use the weapon in defense of his store.  Barney said that it would have been unwise for him to have used his gun in the situation that he was in.

Nearly 25 years ago, BJ’s Drug was robbed and the owner of the store was killed in the hold up.  That owner was Barney’s father.  Talking further with Barney about the robbery that occurred 25 years ago, revealed why he didn’t use his gun to stop his robbery, “Dad resisted, I guess.  Anyway, they found him shot to death, his own gun in his hand, and a bullet in the store’s ceiling.  I’d rather part with my money than my life,” he said.

Suffolk Downs

Several hours before the racing season at Suffolk Downs Race Track, Boston opened up, the barn which was housing the horses, burned to the ground.  Sometime around four o’clock this morning, flames erupted inside of the barn and the barn quickly caught fire and burned to the ground in a matter of hours.  Only several rows of charred wooden supports remain after the fire.  25 horses were stabled in the barn, of those 25 however, 15 died of them died.  The other ten managed to escape the fiery barn even with two of the horses back’s being on fire.  Jockey, Albert Ramos, Miami, FL, was shocked and was in complete dismay at the fire, “That’s my best friends,” he said, pointing to the surviving horses. “I love horses more than I do people.  I feel like I want to cry.”

Arson is suspected to be the cause of the fire by several officials.  Dan Bucci, assistant general manager of the track said, “It could have been of an incendiary nature because it started in the middle of the barn, not at the end.  Only the heaters and electrical outlets were in the tack rooms at the ends of the barns.”  If that’s not enough cause for suspicion then Jim Connery, fire chief, has more details on the fire, ” The fire exploded near the center of the barn.  Flamers were shooting out of the building when we got here.  The fire is definitely suspicious.”  An investigation is under way to determine how the fire started and who had access to the barns at such an early time in the morning.

One Response to “Lead Exercise 4”

1.   Fuglsang Says:

Gun story is good.

I don’t understand the lead of the second story. Is this what you were going for: Several hours before racing season began yesterday, a barn at Suffolk Downs burned to the ground, killing 15 horses.

Remember the goal is to get the key info into the first sentence or two. And to make sense.