Writing assignment – 9/20/10

Posted on September 20, 2010 
Filed under Assignments

#1 GUN

An armed robbery at BJ’s Drug last evening netted the thieves an undisclosed amount of cash, but the outcome was different from a similar incident almost 25 years ago.

The stores owner, Barney Joseph, Jr., told police that after the less than 1 minute robbery, thieves left in a car parked near the store entrance. In addition, although he had access to a handgun he kept behind the counter, he chose to give the thieves what they came for.

25 years ago, Joseph’s father, confronted thieves and was shot to death.

Joseph relates: “Yes, Dad resisted, I guess.  Anyway, they found him shot to death, his own gun in his hand, and a bullet in the store’s ceiling. I’d rather part with my money than my life.”

#2 Suffolk Downs

One day before the start of the racing season at Suffolk Downs Race Track, Boston, officials are investigating a fire of suspicious origins. Jim Connery, Fire Chief, stated that “Flames were shooting out of the building when we got here.”

15 of the 25 horses stabled in the one story wooden building perished, leaving jockey Albert Ramos, from Miami, FL, to reflect: “That’s my best friends, I love horses more than I do people.  I feel like I want to cry.”

An arson squad is investigating the blaze, which appears to have started in an area away from obvious ignition sources, according to track officials.