Scavenger Hunt: Same Place, Different Time

I was given an unusual thing to pursue in this scavenger hunt. Be that as it may, it was simple enough to “attain”. I was instructed to go to a place that I normally go to, but a time that I’m not normally there and describe what I found. The results were less than extraordinary.

The place that I had inadvertently chosen was the MacCollin Classroom building (also known as Eppley Auditorium). I had nothing planned for my Saturday afternoon to keep me busy until my Saturday night plans, so I went over to Eppley to practice some piano (an instrument that I’ve started practicing more since coming to Morningside). Initially, I debated between doing that and going for a run, but my instincts told me that this was more important.

When I arrived at the building, the back doors where I usually entered were chained shut. I approached them , but then quickly decided to try another door when I saw the chains. Shane Macklin (who was speaking with Tony Hutchins at the time), must have thought that I worried about interrupting them, as he attempted to open the door to let me in, after I had passed.

Being that I already needed to speak with Macklin about certain matters, I figured that I might as well hit two birds with one stone and speak to him about those matters. Things were sorted out and I no longer had to wait for an E-mail response from him. Near the end of the conversation, Macklin stated “this is weird,” in reference to the fact that we were speaking through a door that could only be cracked open.

After the conversation, I made my way around to the front door of the building and made my way inside. Thankfully, the doors were not chained up in front [insert humorous chuckle here].

The major difference between Eppley on weekdays and Eppley on the weekends is the amount of people there. Normally, there’s one or two people studying in the lobby, but that wasn’t the case today. The only evidence of anybody being inside the building were random musical noises of what I assume were people practicing their instruments in the practice rooms. Of course, it seemed normal to me, as I came in for the same purpose.

After I had finished practicing, I ran into Chonosuke Asano, a Japanese student who also happened to live on my hall. Asano is a friendly person, so I thought to myself “might as well make some small talk.” Indeed, the talk was small. Asano pointed out that it was funny that he came into practice after he had just finished eating while I was on my way to eat after I had just finished practicing. He joked that we were taking shifts. I laughed. We parted ways.

Altogether, this “scavenger hunt” was rather uneventful. Not that I didn’t enjoy the experience, but there was not much that occurred that I would consider noteworthy. I hope that this entry was at least insightful. Either way, it’s good practice for my writing (which I’m assuming was the intent of this assignment). Thank you for reading.

0 comments ↓

There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below..

You must log in to post a comment.