News Comment +1

Not sure if this’ll still be graded, but I saw this article, and figured that it was worth a shot.

Article: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/trending-now/woman-whose-school-photo-became–60-year-old-girl–meme-talks-to-trending-now-201847056.html?vp=1

As someone who frequents the pages of Reddit, I figured that this would be a good article to share. It gives tale to the story of a woman who found a hilarious old school photo, showed it to her husband, who then showed it to the world, getting internet famous in the process. It’s actually a lot less climactic than it sounds.

The meme is titled “60-Year-Old Kid” and often entails typically elementary school situations with an added elderly twist. For example: Gets allowance, and social security… It works much better in Advice Animal format. Many of the memes that have shown up are rather clever and I personally would not have been able to come up with them myself.

Honestly, I think this meme mimicked its own joke when it got old on Reddit no sooner than a day after it became a thing (source: I’m a redditor). Yesterday, this meme was all over the /r/AdviceAnimals subreddit. Now, the page looks like it did before this meme became a thing. Another form of life imitating art.

But in all reality, I don’t think that it’s because it’s a lame meme. I personally think it’s a very clever idea, and would be okay with it continuing. The problem with it is that it requires a bit more thought than most advice animals, being that it’s not (as far as I know) based off real-life situations like those that you usually see on /r/AdviceAnimals. Additionally, Reddit has a tendency to act as a semi-cynical hivemind that likes to laugh at its own jokes, so I wouldn’t be surprised if the whole “60-Year-Old Kid got old pretty fast” thing is just Reddit’s way of making another inside joke.

Cactus out.

0 comments ↓

There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below..

You must log in to post a comment.