the posts of a barely sane college student

Anecdote: Jerry and the College Creatures

Jerry Meisner’s office attracts all sorts of creatures of the night. These creatures are the Morningside college students that congregate to the library, all with varying reasons to be there and different majors. Jerry’s office becomes the break space for the college creatures for his jokes, stories, or a pop. My night in his office was a small viewing of the creatures that walk in.

I sat in his office after my class, discussing the new exciting things in life and was told stories that he made me promised never to repeat due to how inappropriate they are. Our conversation didn’t take long before a creature, Grant Turner, walked in. Jerry gave Grant a warm welcome and was quick to offer him a beverage. The conversation switched from his inappropriate story to what we were doing for Thanksgiving. Grant and I kept it pretty tame with our stories as Jerry told us how to easily piss off our spouse by dissing their cooking.

After Grant walked in, an entire flock of college creatures rushed in. This flock was made up of Maddie Pierson, Jesseca Ormond, and Aaron Montenez and his girlfriend. This added group brought an entire new energy and new level of extrovert to Jerry. Jerry was quick to introduce everyone to each other, offering a pop, and telling us stories about him trying cognac because some European duke had one every morning and how guacamole looks like the stuff in between your toes.

Jerry found a topic that he felt passionate to tell us about: eggnog. Jerry asked us all if we had tried eggnog, with most of us college creatures replying no. He was quick to tell us that the eggnog in the carton is complete garbage and the one in the glass bottle is the “orgasm of eggnog.” I asked him if he would bring some to try with his response telling us he wasn’t sure about the refrigerators because, “You gotta keep eggnog cold or it will hatch and become hatchnog!”

Our group conversation was abruptly interrupted and ended by the radio call for Jerry to lock up HPER. Us college creatures had to herd us out of the office while we were putting on our winter jackets. Jerry proceeding to turn his mittens into Muppet sounding puppets, chasing Jesseca with them and talking to all of us with them. He made sure all of us were getting to our location safely and made sure to tell us all good night.

This was a taste of Jerry’s office. Walking into his office is always for sure to bring a smile to your face with a laugh guaranteed. Jerry’s office almost always has someone in there, some fun being had, and a story being told.

This is good, but it’s long for an anecdote. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t use it all, it creates a nice picture, but I would suggest trimming it.

You can leave yourself in, if you think that’s necessary. The first paragraph would establish that. Summarize the various “creatures” (I’m not getting that, by the way), then go to the foursome in his office. Did you go out with him on the call? That would be a way of going from the anecdote to the actual story about night security.