Baseball Free Agents

Financially, would there be a better occupation than being a professional baseball player?
Free agents this winter have made a killing and the more players I see sign, the more I wonder, where does this money come from?
The Boston Red Sox signed outfielder Carl Crawford to a 7 year deal worth $142 million dollars. That is over 20 million dollars a year to play a sport where you spend most of your time standing around, sitting down, and eating sunflower seeds.
To be fair to Carl Crawford though, he is one hell of an athlete. Coming out of high school he was recruited by UCLA for basketball and the Nebraska Cornhuskers wanted him to be there option style quarterback. Ultimately, Crawford chose to go pro out of high school and become a professional baseball player and that decision obviously worked out for him.
Carl Crawford isn’t the only major league baseball player testing the free agent market this summer and making a ton of money.
If you’re not a baseball fan then the name Jayson Werth probably doesn’t ring a bell. Thats okay because I am a baseball fan and he’s nothing special, just your average major league outfielder. Anyway, the Washington Nationals felt the need to give this 32 year old outfielder a 7 year contract worth $126 million dollars!
Werth has made the all star team one time in his career and will be 39 years old by the time his contract is up.
The money that these professional athletes make is outrageous. I know that they generate a lot of revenue, but paying a baseball player close to $20 million dollars a year is disgusting. Every off season players make more money and you have to ask yourself, when will we draw the line and say enough is enough?
I personally don’t think that we will see a time when the payroll is cut and I am waiting to see who the first player is to get rewarded with a $200 million dollar contract.
http://natsbaseball.blogspot.com/2010/12/rizzo-not-stupid-says-hes-not-done.html

One Response to “Baseball Free Agents”
  1. fuglsang says:

Just lots of “stupid money” in baseball. But as long as the fans are willing to pay…