Midland Zoo Press Release

After several deaths to the animal family, Midland Zoo is sorry to announce that Homer the Panda has died. The bear was discovered early this morning. The two younger polar bears Yukon and McKenzie were removed to be monitored by veterinary staff.

“Homer was a very curious and playful bear and we will miss him terribly,” remarked Zookeeper Sara N. Getty. The bear was found dead in his exhibit at 7 a.m. Homer is one of several that have thrived at Midland since 1985. The zoo will perform a necropsy to find the cause of death.

Director Chris P. Bacon is overseeing the results of necropsy. He stated that the “Animal welfare and the preservation of species are our primary goals here at the zoo.” The results will not be available for several weeks. This month Regina the bobcat and Kenya the giraffe also passed away. The three deaths are unrelated.

One Response to “Midland Zoo Press Release”

1. fuglsang Says:

I feel I need to mention that Homer was a polar bear. Pandas are somewhat different.

As I said in class, I don’t think you need to include the deaths of the other animals. If anyone asks, you left them out of this release because they are not connected. The mention of them in the last graf plays them down. I would definitely cut them from the lead. This is a story about Homer.

Autopsy is a more conventional term than necropsy.