AT&T Rebuilds Empire

AT&T is looking to finalize an $85.4 billion deal to buy media conglomerate Time Warner. The deal would be the second in the past year for AT&T, who just recently purchased DirecTV. At one time, in the early 20th century, AT&T was one of the most important companies in the United States. This is a big event to restore the corporation to it’s prior dominance, but it may be halted by the FCC.

Congress and the FCC are already looking into the deal that was just recently announced. The acquisition has caused some outrage from consumers as well as politicians. Bernie Sanders has already pressured candidate Hillary Clinton to stop the deal if she takes office in January.

The article AT&T Merger: This One Statistic Shows Why Feds Will Block The Deal by Fortune magazine is very informative. It does a great deal more than show one certain statistic. It gives a small background about the purchase and AT&T’s recent purchases, but it also explains vertical integration and the Judicial holdings in similar issues. And, it explains the political point of view, both candidates are against the merger.

I like the use of quotes that they use. They paraphrase when explaining the statistics in the beginning, which may be good because experts can be confusing to the less-informed. It does actually quote the experts later on in the story. The only problem I had during the entire article was with a quote that was split to identify the speaker. The break was confusing and slightly pointless when the following sentence was so short. Otherwise, I found this to be an interesting and informative article.

One Response to “AT&T Rebuilds Empire”

1. fuglsang Says:

I can’t see hoe thw FCC approves this. But for whatever reason, the commissioners don’t seem to care who or what dominates the internet. This merger would be bad for everyone but stockholders.

Good discussion of a difficult story.