News Comment 7

October 5th, 2015

I read an article from the NY Times written by Michael Barbaro called, “Pitchy, Mean and Powerful: How Donald Trump Mastered Twitter for 2016”. It was about how Trump is using social media for his campaign and how effective it has been for him.

My initial reaction to the headline was “who cares? how does this relate to politics?”.  In a way I do think this is newsworthy because Trump could be setting a precedent for how future presidential campaigns are handled and covered.

The audience is to all ages, but specifically more towards the younger generation because it talks about the power of old media and the new power of new media, such as Twitter.

The first paragraph completely threw me. It talked about actress Kim Novack, whom I have never heard of, and how she was urged to attend last years Academy Awards. Then the next paragraphs went on about how Donald Trump tweeted that Novack needed to sue her plastic surgeon. Even though this lead confused me, it certainly got my attention, because I was unaware of this Oscars story. The actual lead was the sixth paragraph.

I would have organized it a little differently. However the story with Novack did seem important to me. I did like reading his tweets along with Clinton’s and Bush’s tweets. The examples showed how many more followers Trump has and that makes him seem more “powerful”.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/06/us/politics/donald-trump-twitter-use-campaign-2016.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

2 Responses to “News Comment 7”

1. fuglsang on October 19, 2015 8:53 am

Kim Novak was an actress; Trump criticized her looks. A star was born.

A good analysis, Rachael. It’s a delayed lead. It works on a story that isn’t especially timely, and which is meant to create a portrait of sorts of Trump. And I would say it’s news, simply because Trump’s use of Twitter has been central to his success as a candidate.

2. Rindu Rara on April 11, 2017 11:05 pm

This is a great article! A good analysis!

Comments RSS