News comment #7

10 10 2012

The article, “1 dead, others trapped in Miami parking garage collapse,” written by Suzette Laboy, is about a parking garage that collapsed Wednesday morning while under construction, killing one person and injuring many others.

The article says that the structure that fell was five stories tall and one bystander described it saying, “It fell to the ground like a house of cards.”

In this release of the story, it is apparent no one is sure what caused the garage to collapse.  Emergency response and construction workers rushed to the scene immediately as it happened.  Two of the trapped workers used their cell phones to talk to the rescue teams to be found and helped.

The rest of the story went on to describe what the construction site looked like and what the construction project was for.

This is news worthy and news in general because it’s something odd that doesn’t happen very often. Of course, this type of news doesn’t really affect people like us in the Midwest who have no contact with people in Miami.  If the person who died would have been a family member or you knew someone who worked on that construction site, this news story could be more interesting to you.

I also think the way this story is written is really good. The author does not only do a good job of describing what happened but visually I could see it too. Most news stories I read, it’s basically just telling you what happened. A news story like this, I think having a visual helps the story come to life a little more.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/10/10/workers-trapped-miami-parking-garage-collapse/1624721/

Actions

Information

One response to “News comment #7”

21 10 2012
  fuglsang (00:35:27) :

Good discussion, Paige. Good to see description in deadline stories.