Emma Watson Feminist Speech

In this speech Emma Watson, an actress and activist, is calling upon help from people attending the One Young World conference. In this speech she quoted Robert Kennedy saying “Each time a man or woman stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lots of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope. And crossing each other from a million different centers of energy, those ripples build a current that can sweep down the mightiest wall of oppression and resistance.” She uses this quote to talk about the feminist movement and how this is what they need to do. The feminist activists need to create many ripples and make them form a big current and tear down the oppression against women.

She also is trying to relate to all women by saying 7 statements. “I am willing to be seen. I am willing to speak up. I am willing to keep going. I am willing to listen to what others have to say. I am willing to go forward even when I feel alone. I am willing to go to bed each night, at peace with myself. I am willing to be my biggest, best-est, most powerful self.” She says these are things that on a daily basis women should ask themselves in the fight for gender equality. She asks the crowd they have any truth for them. She then says that “These seven statements scare the absolute shit out of me. But I know that they are at the crux of it all. At the end of the day, and when all is said and done, I know that these are the ways that I want to have lived my life.”

One Young World is a non profit organization started in 2009 by David Jones and Kate Robertson. It takes all young leaders in the world and puts them in one place to help empower change. Anyone can be an ambassador if they meet the critia, which is to be a 18-30 year old who demonstrate leadership and commitment to a better world.

One thought on “Emma Watson Feminist Speech

1. I gotta ask: In which speech? I suspect you are writing this as if it were a class assignment rather than as a news story. You use the phrase “In this speech” twice in the first graf. If you chop it out, the sentences read much better.

Work on verbs. Be active. Not “is calling” — called. Not “uses this quote to talk about” — described. Not “also is trying to relate” — related.

Your summary of the speech is fine. Just focus the lead so it gets the point across quickly.

Include some brief background on Watson (Miss Granger).