News Comment Week 6

This article talks about how multiple NCAA basketball coaches are being arrested and/or investigated for fraud and corruption. This is big news because some of these coaches are bi name coaches, people like Rick Pitino who is the only coach in NCAA history to win a championship with 2 different programs (Update since this article, is that he has been fired in connection with these charges). What these coaches did exactly to get these charges is that they would influence players to sign with certain shoe companies for endorsements, and to sign with certain agents or agencies to manage them in their playing career.

This article is really intriguing to me because the lede which is “our assistant basketball coaches from Arizona, Auburn, Oklahoma State and Southern California were charged Tuesday morning in a federal corruption investigation, and that might be only the tip of the iceberg in a three-year FBI probe that focused on coaches being paid tens of thousands of dollars to steer NBA-bound players toward sports agents, financial advisers and apparel companies.” really compels me to read more. It also has really good questions toward the bottom of the article where they were talking to a spokesman for the FBI and NCAA about the scandal.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20824193/ncaa-basketball-coaches-10-charged-fraud-corruption

One thought on “News Comment Week 6

1. I don’t pay much attention to ESPN, so I’m curious if this is a lot of coverage on this issue. ESPN has been accused in the past of apologizing for big-time coaches and downplaying scandal. The network didn’t want to bite the hands that fed them. This story seems pretty complete. What else is it doing on this story? We’ll have to wait for the other shoe to drop. Use examples from the article to better make your case for “compelling.”