“For being paralyzed I find myself never being able to stop moving,” Alex Watters said as he zipped back and forth between journalism students of Morningside College.

From a swimming accident that left the Okoboji native partially paralyzed, Watters has gone from helped to the one helping others. Living with his disabilities, Watters says, “I see an opportunity to give back to a community that helped me.”

Working as a first year advisor at Morningside, as well as being a Sioux City council member, Watters has dedicated his time to helping others and making a positive impact on the community. He has dreams of becoming a nationally known motivational speaker and finishing his book.

“I’m going to do what I can, serve on boards, get involved with the community.” Watters has a genuine passion for the people he works with. He loves to attend Morningside games and activities as “he sees his family being able to live their dreams and have the opportunities they have worked so hard to get.”

Alex Watters looks to keep his success growing, as he loves what he does on the daily. Never letting his disabilities get in his way, Watters believes it would have been “tough on where he would go” if the accident never happened. Watters loves to stay busy even on his free time, constantly replying to emails and writing down thoughts and things that need to be done.

With the constant busy schedule, Alex Watters made it clear that “You shouldn’t stay in the same position for a long time… if you have different skills you should use them to help people and companies in different ways.”

Years after the accident that led to Watters to be restrained to his wheelchair, nothing has not stopped him from taking big steps in his life and community.