Week 10: Educational Reform

Ken Robinson argues in these videos that our education system needs to be seriously reformed because our current system squanders kids’ creativity. Robinson defines creativity as the process of having original ideas that have value. Robinson recognizes that we have no idea what’s going to happen in terms of the future, so kids need to be prepared so that they can handle whatever the future brings. Their education is going to take them into this future that we can’t grasp, so Robinson argues that our educational system should treat creativity with as much importance as literacy. By transforming our educational system in a way to foster creativity, Robinson believes that we will be better prepared for the future.

I like Robinson’s argument. I feel that our education system today does harm the creative ideas of today’s youth. I look at my own education in this way; the arts are not a significant part of my life anymore because I have always been told that I could not make a living painting or being a musician. I feel that if we can find a way to support the creative ideas of today’s youth, we will have a better future.

3 thoughts on “Week 10: Educational Reform

1. I agree that the education systems takes away the creative sides of children and adults. Music has always been a major part of my life growing up ever since I was little, but like you said people say it’s impossible to be a successful musician. I think schools need to allow kids to choose their decisions. The schools can have boundaries, but they need to let kids be creative.

2. Hi there! I simply wish to offer you a big thumbs up for the great information you’ve got here on this post. I am coming back to your site for more soon.

3. I blog quite often and I seriously thank you for your content. The article has really peaked my interest. I am going to book mark your website and keep checking for new information about once per week. I opted in for your RSS feed as well.