Women in Foreign Countries

I do not believe MNCs should protect their shareholder value by restricting the placement of female employees in certain foreign countries if they are looking to expand rather than join another company.  There are some countries that do not believe that women should be employed in such positions.  This would make it difficult for MNCs to keep the business in those countries.  Losing business in these countries could cause shareholders to pull out their investment.

If they company is looking to expand into another country, but not merge with another company, they could look to hire employees that the country does not usually look at.  There are two entrepreneurs who look to hire the unexpected.  One mentioned he started to hire the disabled, and eventually favored the disabled applicant to the non-disabled (Harris, 2010).  They earn the same pay, but there is more ambition and will to work.

For example, South Korea rarely hires women for important positions.  But if owners wanted to start a business or help, they could hire the local women in South Korea.  Women do not work in South Korea because of they usually have social pressure to quit when they have a child (Profiting from Sexism, 2010).

Harris, Dan. “Sexism In China. A Good Thing For Foreign Business?” China Law Blog. N.p., 16       Dec. 2010. Web. 04 Oct. 2012. <http://www.chinalawblog.com/2010/12/sexism_china_style_a_good_thing_for_foreig            n_business.html>.

“Profiting from Sexism.” The Economist. The Economist Newspaper, 21 Oct. 2010. Web. 03 Oct.             2012. <http://www.economist.com/node/17311877>.

4 thoughts on “Women in Foreign Countries

1. I found your reference to the two entrepreneurs very interesting. I had not heard of entrepreneurs hiring the disabled before. Usually when I hear of places who hire disabled workers, the places are usually non-profit organizations.

It is an interesting way to look at this topic of sexism, by hiring the unexpected people. When I read this I thought about the push for diversity here in America. We are looking to even out the playing field for people of all genders, races, ethnicity, and such. I would like to know how other countries view this push to diversity. Would it be possible that some of these countries that don’t welcome women now, will be fine with it in the not to distant future.

2. I would have to disagree with you on this. Doing business in a country that doesn’t support female leadership would be just fine. Just don’t send a female to do a man’s job (speaking for the culture of that specific country). Business can be done. MNCs just need to be careful about how they do their business. Understanding the cultural differences can make it work. Shareholders are important, but if you handle the situation the right way, and send a male when needed to, everything will go through. MNCs just have to obey the fact that not all countries allow female leadership.

3. I find it interesting that you do not think shareholders in an MNC should be protected by selective practices regarding whom is sent to the foreign country as our representative. As a business should we not always be concerned with our shareholder’s as they are they ones whom keep the company operating with their monetary support? Also, would you want your MNC to lose a potential billion dollars in sales in a foreign market just because it is inappropriate for a woman to be a manager in that country? I strongly believe that we have to do whatever is best for the company and that we really need to focus on the culture of the country that we are moving into. If their culture deems that women should not be in the workforce, and we could potentially lose a contract, then we need to send a man. This should not be considered as sexist as women have opportunities to work in foreign markets where it is completely acceptable to do business with a woman. We must focus on the culture that we are moving into an operate “their” way if we want their business and we should never force our cultural beliefs on others.

4. I like your reasoning. Hiring women or putting them in this position could give you a competitive advantage.

I also like that you stood your ground and stated what you believed.