Anecdote

September 25, 2018

When you work in customer service, being polite and following the general rules are expected.

Nobody really tells you how hard this is going to be until it’s too late. I learned this the hard way after the third time in a row a customer threw a fit about a missed discount or the fact that I asked them how they were today.

People also don’t tell you how much old men like to hit on 20-year-old women. Or how much your male coworkers will try to ask you out simply because you’re the nearest breathing female.

On one particular occasion, my coworker, who is 70, tries to convince me that my pants are too tight for Lowe’s and that I’m flaunting it. When I ask him what “it” is, he stares directly at my ass. Internally rolling my eyes, I turn to help the next customer.

After the customers leave, he continues with his comments, pulling on my hair and generally standing too close. At this point, I don’t want to be rude but he will not stop. “We don’t sell Viagra in the store. You could never keep up with me. You’re going to have to find someone your own age. Like your wife.”

His face turns red and his hands search for something to do, finally landing on his work schedule that he shuffles and loudly clears his throat. Two minutes later, he clocks out, sights set on asking the head cashier about her pants too.