Nov 13 2012

Sweet Dreams

Published by at 10:05 PM under Comm 300

Why is it that your bed never seems more comfortable then when you have to leave it? By far one of the most annoying and disheartening sounds in the world is the constant “beep” of an alarm clock. My pillow is at times my best friend. It is a sight for sore eyes after a long hard day.  Everyone loves sleeping in. That is unless you’re a meth junkie who enjoys watching the Sun rise and fall as your life goes down the drain. Yet I expect for most of us, this isn’t a problem. Thus the sight of a pillow is often accompanied by a sigh of relief.

Thanksgiving break will soon be upon us. Thank God. It’s a chance for students to reconnect with friends and family members they’ve left behind. Moreover it’s a chance to catch up and reacquaint oneself with their beloved pillow and cozy bed. Although I’ve never had the pleasure of sleeping on a dorm bed at Morningside, so perhaps I’m speaking out of turn.

Whether you sleep in full pajama suits, boxers-briefs and a tee, or fly commando style under the sheets, nothing feels as good as a soft pillow and a warm bed. Why professors feel the need to schedule required classes at 8am, I’ll never know. I’d like to think they’d miss their pillows too. However, for some making lives miserable is their M.O. so maybe not.

Though it may sound strange too, I sometimes set my alarm on a free day just so I can turn it off. Why? I have no idea. I suppose it’s an attempt to sense that comfy feeling I usually lose. That state of nirvana I feel just prior to sitting up and setting my feet on the cold hardwood floor.

Author Michael Breus claims that, “…sleep deprivation, for whatever reason, significantly affects your health, performance, safety, and pocketbook.”

I doubt you could argue with that. Likewise a Journal of American College Health study showed, “that students’ poor sleep quality is linked to increased tension, irritability, depression, confusion, and generally lower life satisfaction.”

So there you have it. Get some sleep and all your problems will be solved. Though the aforementioned statement may not exactly be true, it sure sounds like a good solution.

The question asked for this assignment was, “What makes you happy?”

I don’t know. Maybe I’d better sleep on it.

Comments Off on Sweet Dreams

Comments are closed at this time.