header image

How much the NFL refs are really worth

Amongst all the heated discussions about the NFL referee lockout, which finally ended today,  there were many arguments that the officials were very valuable to the league….but how much exactly are we talking about here?  Enter ESPN writer, Darren Rovell.  According to his article featured on ESPN.com,  on one outcome of one game (that game being the Seattle Seahawks vs. the Green Bay Packers)  that at least $150 million dollars changed hands as a result of a “bad call”.

As a fan of the game, I find that to be utterly ridiculous.  How does one game generate so much money?  To put that in perspective, the final play of that game which lasted less than 10 seconds cost people somewhere, somehow, at minimum $150 million dollars.  With big money on the line like that this story is definitely newsworthy.  When the NFL is not generally making, but generating money like that, how much is it really worth to the league to not give officials the pensions they want?  In my honest opinion, the league should have swallowed whatever demands the officials union was asking because without them, the game is pretty difficult to play and for the most part they do their job well.  The game between these two teams was really decided not in the last decision but the overall play of the teams competing.  It is alarming to me how much money is being thrown around over football.

MAD MONEY

It was also estimated by USA Today analyst that the overall implications of this game has an outstanding impact of $1 billion.  Are you kidding me?  Where is all of this money coming from? Aren’t we in an economic slump right now? Who has this much money to bet on a game?  These are just a few questions I am asking and I am urging you to ask about our society as it stands right now.

~ by Jescy on .

2 Responses to “How much the NFL refs are really worth”

1. You see, Jescy, there’s this place called Las Vegas. People go there to bet money. If they win, they get more money back than they invested. It’s called gambling. Lots of people like it. Especially when it involves the NFL. That’s why this is news.

2. my question is how do all these people get so suckered into gambling so easily?