Loving Myself Every Day

Mean Girls

During the first half of high school, Madeline Horner had it all.  She was a volleyball player for the Heelan Crusaders, her grades were never lower than an A, and she had looks like a model.

Madeline, or Maddy, as her friends call her, had started her high school career at Heelan to be near her older sister, Olivia.  But after Olivia graduated, Maddy had a choice.

“I had dealt with some mean girls my freshman year.  It wasn’t nearly as bad my sophomore year,” says Maddy, “but I missed my best friends.”

Those best friends, Julie, Brook, and Sam had been with Maddy since 2nd grade.  They called themselves “the fab four”.  But Maddy was easily considered the most fabulous.  Her parents were still married, she didn’t struggle with school or weight, and she wasn’t having sex with her boyfriend.  She was the wholesome sweetheart of their group.

So, Maddy made the transfer back to South Sioux City High School for her junior and senior years.

The girls friendship, though, changed after a winter basketball game.  One of the girls has forgotten her bloomers for under her uniform and an opposing team Mom saw her showing her underwear to one of the basketball players.  The mom knew Maddy’s mom and – thinking it was Maddy showing off her bloomers – thought it pertinent to give Claudia a call.

“I knew it couldn’t be Maddy.  My friend was saying that the girl and boy were kissing.  Maddy didn’t even have a boyfriend,” said Claudia Horner.

Claudia called the girls’ coach, knowing which girl it was after a talk with Maddy.  The coach, called the girl into her office and said that “Claudia Horner had called.”  That’s when the trouble started.

“Girls I had never said two words to were updating their Facebook statuses and saying no one liked me,” says Maddy.  “It really hurt, I’d been best friends with these girls.”

Maddy contemplated graduating early to escape.  But she decided she didn’t want to miss her senior volleyball season.  The girls are no longer friends, but Maddy says the tormenting has stopped.  She’s finishing up her senior year and looking at colleges.  She got a 32 on the ACT, so the possibilities are wide open.

“I got a free application from Harvard,” Maddy says, laughing.  “I just don’t think I could be that far away from my family.”

Maddy hopes to attend the University of Minnesota next fall and pursue a degree in architecture.