Nov
21

Personal Narrative-What Frustrates Me

Filed Under (Uncategorized) by Emily on 21-11-2012

I am supposed to write about what frustrates me. So here it goes.

Getting into arguments with my parents is something that frustrates me. It’s like this: I love you guys, but sometimes you drive me crazy. Which is one of the reasons I don’t live with them anymore. So, now I am back in their house for Thanksgiving, and we are already not getting along. My parents were working on a home fixer-upper project when I came over, and my dad was annoyed that he couldn’t find one of his favorite sweatshirts. I tried to help, which ended up backfiring, because my mom wanted me to do something for her at the exact same time. I can’t be at two places at once. We all ended up bickering at each other.  Why is it that the people you love the most seem to irritate you the most?

I am having an R.E.M. marathon. It is helping me to study. Listening to music can be a great escape from reality.

Anyway, my dad just went to his boat storage place so he can have his “mancave” time. He brought his favorite tools-wrenches, his brand new soddering gun, and a lot of other somewhat familiar but I-don’t-know-what-they-are-for type things.  It’s a part of my dad’s life I still don’t quite get. He and I have talked about it. It’s been his life-long dream, for the past 40 years, to build a boat and sail it down the Mississippi River. He loves working on his boat, not having to deal with anyone interupting his solitude.

The thing about frustration is that, for me at least, it comes it small spurts. It doesn’t last forever, even when I feel like it does. I have to remember not to fixate on what is frustrating me at the time, not let it get ahold of me. I can’t pretend anymore, like I did when I was little, that life will and should go exactly the way I want it.