The Blog of Courtney Klocke

News Comment: NFL Competition Committee members reportedly uncomfortable with roughing the passer calls

The story of the NFL right now is the roughing the passer rule. Players are no longer supposed to land with their body weight on the quarterback and drive them into the ground. The league has taken it to a whole different level with 34 roughing the passer penalties in three weeks. The NFL Competition Committee is aware of the increase and plans to meet next week to see if they can tweak how the referees make the call. The NFL wants to protect these high-valued players without changing the game of football.

The article does a good job of showing the problem with stats right away to display to the reader that this has become a major issue in many games in only three weeks of the NFL season. ESPN and the NFL interviewed committee members. Both found that the members want to adjust the ruling. Including that information gives the article more depth and credibility by actually finding out what the members think. I was unaware that there was a potential for a change in the ruling, but the article gives the reader hope, so fans can go back to enjoying the NFL.

The recent calls cut deep for me because I am a HUGE Green Bay Packers fan, and the main reason the committee is meeting is due to a call made against the Packers in week two against the Minnesota Vikings. I also want the players to be safe, so the bests competitors are on the field, but it has become hard for players, especially Clay Matthews from the Packers, because he has tried to change how he tackles and he still gets penalized. Hopefully, the committee will soon take away the frustration many fans, including myself, are feeling.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/competition-committee-members-reportedly-uncomfortable-with-roughing-calls-no-immediate-changes-expected/

1 Comment

1. fuglsang

OK overall, Courtney. CBS Sports has an interest in this story. It carries NFL games, and if people don’t like how the rules affect games, they mighy stop watching.