The Blog of Courtney Klocke

News Comment: The McDonald’s strikes are the #Metoo movement in action

The #Metoo movement has given the workers at McDonald’s, in large cities across the United States, the power to speak up against sexual harassment. It could change how the lower wage, working class has been treated for such a long time. Many of the workers have been to afraid to speak out about their abuse from fear of losing their jobs, but the #Metoo movement has given them a voice. McDonald’s is trying to save themselves by hiring a Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network and the legal-compliance firm Seyfarth Shaw at Work. That same legal firm is the exact one that represented Harvey Weinstein.  The movement has brought people forward to make a change for those that have otherwise seemed invisible.

The lead to this story is well written to give the reader the most important information and draw the reader in. The author does well with using the inverted pyramid within each subheading as well going through the most important information first.

The story initially caught my attention because of the prominence of the #Metoo movement. It made me wonder how it could be connected with McDonald’s. After reading the article, I can understand how lower paid workers are taken advantage of because they believe they are disposable to their employers. It’s sad that it has taken this long for them to feel courageous enough to speak out, but I’m glad it did with the #Metoo movement because there is no better time than now to address this horrible problem.

https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2018/9/18/17876024/mcdonalds-strikes-walkout-me-too

Good discussion, Courtney. The story does have a good lead, and is well organized. The internet, however, has limitless space, which means a story can run way longer than necessary. The paragraphs are also longer, but Vox can get away with it because the columns are so wide.