Weekly News Comment #6 – Service Dog Learned How To Save His Diabetic Owner’s Life

This week I read an article from the Huffington Post titled, “This Precious Service Dog Learned How To Save His Diabetic Owner’s Life.”

The headline alone personally made me want to continue reading. A service dog for diabetic patients is something I had never heard of before and immediately wanted to know more about how that situation works.

The subtitle, “Coach can smell when blood sugar levels have risen or dropped, before the symptoms even hit” already answers the question of how it works. However, the emotional appeal of this story can make the reader want to continue reading.

The lead has a very similar effect as the subtitle. It gives more detail into this particular story and girl. Again, with the emotional appeal and the last sentence of the lead (“Coach who, after nearly 2,000 hours of training, learned how to save Elle’s life”) makes the reader want to know more about this family.

The article is organized well and uses many quotes from the mother and daughter who own the service dog. Giving details as to how the dog notifies the family, and reasons why having the dog has made their lives easier and idea of the future brighter keeps the reader interested in the story.

Click for link to original article

One thought on “Weekly News Comment #6 – Service Dog Learned How To Save His Diabetic Owner’s Life