Alumni Spotlight: Jenna Rehnstrom (’06)

Picture1

Jenna Rehnstrom is a familiar face to alumni living in Siouxland, as she is an anchor on KCAU9 News in Sioux City. She said she made the right choice to attend Morningside College, where she earned a bachelor’s degree in mass communications and a minor in religious studies in 2006.

“For me, Morningside was the perfect mix of ‘big city’ and ‘small town,'” she said. “I wanted to pursue broadcasting and liked that I would be able to do an internship right in my own city, but I also wanted a campus where people knew me and where I could be involved. I wasn’t disappointed – it’s the perfect mix!”

Rehnstrom’s favorite thing about Morningside was living in the dorms. “I really liked the sense of community I got to have as an on-campus student,” she said. “There was always someone to talk to, study with, or order pizza at midnight with.” Rehnstrom also said she loved being able to be involved in so many different activities and to make friends across a range of majors and interests.

During Rehnstrom’s time on campus, she was involved in all the campus media. “I was especially proud of my work as one of the editors of the Collegian Reporter,” she said. Additionally, she was a member of the College Choir and Jazz Ensemble, which provided her with opportunities to tour across the Midwest as well as Eastern Europe. Rehnstrom was also active in the theatre program, was a resident assistant for three years, and was a student assistant in the Admissions Office.

Her advice to current students was to be involved. “I loved to be involved, so I say try as many activities as you can balance with school work,” she said. “I would also encourage students to take a class in something completely different from their major. I took an astronomy class, which was challenging and interesting, and a religion class that helped me decide on my minor.”

Rehnstrom’s advice for young alumni was to look for mentors. She said, “I learned so much of what I know about my career by learning from the experts around me. Ask questions, soak in ‘how they do it,’ and find people who genuinely take an interest in helping you succeed and be happy.”

Rehnstrom stays just as busy in her life outside of college as she did while she was a student. Currently, she serves on the Morningside Alumni Board, the Augustana Lutheran Foundation Board, and the St. Luke’s College Board. Additionally, she is  part of committees that organize the Crittenton Center’s Design and Dine fundraiser and Mercy’s Women’s Night Out, which is a fundraiser to benefit the Mercy Child Advocacy Center.

When she is not serving on those committees and boards, she enjoys emceeing local non-profit events and speaking to students about broadcasting. Additionally, Rehnstrom enjoys spending time with her husband, Chris, and their three young children.

Rehnstrom has also been honored by the Iowa Broadcast News Association for outstanding anchoring and public affairs reporting and was nominated for a Midwest Regional EMMY Award for her health reporting.

Published in: on January 25, 2018 at 1:21 PM Comments (6)

The URI to TrackBack this entry is: http://wordpress.morningside.edu/alumninewsletter/2018/01/25/alumni-spotlight-jenna-rehnstrom-06/trackback/

RSS feed for comments on this post.

6 Comments Leave a comment.

1. on May 9, 2018 at 7:35 AM nón bảo hiểm Said:

Great website

[…]we like to honor many other internet sites on the web, even if they aren’t linked to us, by linking to them. Under are some webpages worth checking out[…]…

2. on May 9, 2018 at 8:17 PM điêu khắc body là gì Said:

Websites you should visit

[…]below you’ll find the link to some sites that we think you should visit[…]…

3. on May 19, 2018 at 2:32 AM School bell system Said:

School bell system

locate the top wireless pa system currently available and in stock in addition currently available get it now only!

4. on May 19, 2018 at 6:17 AM chuyển nhà trọn gói giá rẻ Said:

Recent Blogroll Additions…

[…]usually posts some very interesting stuff like this. If you’re new to this site[…]…

5. on May 20, 2018 at 7:11 AM etc Said:

Great website

6. on May 23, 2018 at 1:28 PM abogado de accidentes de auto Said:

Gems form the internet

[…]very few websites that happen to be detailed below, from our point of view are undoubtedly well worth checking out[…]…