A Look Inside Morningside College: Student Spotlight

Alex2

Alexander Schmitz is a sophomore biology major from the small town of Carroll, Iowa. Schmitz is a part of the wrestling team and prides himself as being a Mustang.

“I love being on the wrestling team,” said Schmitz. “The competitive and brotherly bond that we all have is something you can’t get any other way. It affects every aspect of my college experience, from competing in the sport to being held accountable in the classroom to being active in the community.”

He believes that there is a lot of tradition at Morningside that is manifested through conversations with alumni and the Siouxland community.

“There is a positive association with Morningside and I am proud to be a part of it,” Schmitz said. “I especially feel that pride when I wear the Morningside singlet when I compete. I know I represent something special when I compete and whenever I get to associate with Morningside.”alex3

In addition to wrestling, Schmitz is in Phi Eta Sigma Honor Society and a member of Acacia Fraternity, where he has been both the senior and junior dean. He has been on the athletic director’s academic honor roll every semester and was also named second team All-GPAC at the end of his freshman wrestling season.

“I think that both being a part of the wrestling team and being a member of Acacia has shown me how strong of a community a college, especially one like Morningside, can be,” said Schmitz. “There is a really strong link with alumni, and the college makes a huge impact in the community. It has impacted me knowing that the little things I do within the school are noticed by others and make an impact on others’ lives.”

When asked about his major, Schimtz said, “I had a pretty specific plan going into college, knowing exactly what I wanted to do for a career. I knew biology would be the best path and that the staff in the biology department would prepare me well.”

After college Schmitz hopes to attend a graduate school and become a certified prosthetics and orthotics practitioner. He would design and help build braces for individuals with limb defects in order to improve their quality of life.

He was exposed to the prosthetics field after a work-related accident that caused his uncle to lose his leg.

“Seeing his own experience and hearing more and more about veterans and even children who rely on artificial limbs made me think that this was a field I could really make a difference in,” Schmitz said.

Being a part of Acacia has given him the opportunity to visit The Shriner’s Hospital in Minnesota. His visit included a tour of the Shriner’s Hospital prosthetics ward and the opportunity to interact with the hospital staff.

Schmitz said, “I learned a lot about the process I will need to go through to work in the prosthetics field, and I gained some excellent connections that I hope to use in the future.”

Published in: on May 12, 2016 at 5:00 PM Comments (10)

The URI to TrackBack this entry is: http://wordpress.morningside.edu/alumninewsletter/2016/05/12/a-look-inside-morningside-college-student-spotlight-9/trackback/

RSS feed for comments on this post.

10 Comments Leave a comment.

1. on May 16, 2016 at 7:01 PM Roger Winter Said:

Carroll Iowa a small town? Come now……

2. on March 1, 2017 at 12:09 AM sidharth Said:

Morningside College is best in his teaching ways

3. on March 4, 2017 at 7:23 AM Milo Said:

We have a stockroom loaded with rock, consisting of huge amounts
    of Maryland marble distributors (Milo)
    and granite, a manufacturing center including the latest and finest quality
    equipment, and also a lovely display room that has to be attended be totally appreciated.

4. on March 4, 2017 at 3:50 PM Niklas Said:

Your remark saying a leaking ceiling raise the threat suggests keeping the rockwool insulation Plano TX (Niklas) as well as vapor
    retarder on the flooring is an advantage.

5. on March 10, 2017 at 2:41 PM Frank Said:

In the Proyectos de Ernesto Flores Vilchez (Frank) we can see that
    most of them are focused on improving his staff members.

6. on March 11, 2017 at 10:31 AM Charli Said:

Do not be among those individuals that maintain asking how can I make more cash?” or exactly how can I generate income earn money online (Charli)?” despite checking out numerous articles
    such as this one.

7. on April 21, 2017 at 7:44 PM http://drugtreatmentcentersphoenixaz.com/free-drug-rehab-phoenix-arizona Said:

If you have experience with an Arizona alcohol and medicine detoxification or The River Source Phoenix Rehab (http://drugtreatmentcentersphoenixaz.com/free-drug-rehab-phoenix-arizona) facility or if you possess or operate a center, please contact Gallus Alcohol and
    also Medication Detoxification Centers to be considered for this directory.

8. on April 22, 2017 at 5:50 AM Riley Said:

Nevertheless, only concerning one in 10 ever before get the dependency Drug Treatment Finders (Riley) they are
    entitled to and require. John regressions right
    into medicine addiction after he begins consuming alcohol beer while taking the
    medicines prescribed to him after his surgical procedure.

9. on April 22, 2017 at 1:05 PM The Drug Rehab Agency Said:

According to police reports, Columbian and also Dominican drug companies have
    actually been dealing in cocaine as well as
    heroin, Mexican traffickers are currently relocating drug from The Drug Rehab Agency west
    coastline to the New Jersey, New york city area.

10. on April 22, 2017 at 3:52 PM finance.texomashomepage.com Said:

They insist that commonly used words– addict,” abuser,” even chemical abuse” as well as addict”– can dissuade people from looking for aid, induce health experts to treat individuals harshly,
    and aggravate The Addiction Advocates (finance.texomashomepage.com) preconception that bedevils individuals experiencing medicine addiction.