Journalism is not obsolete, its morphing.

28 08 2015

2455144662_death_of_journalism_tombstone_xlarge

Everyone is a journalist, they just do not know it.

In a fantastic article written by Mathew Ingram on Sep 2, 2011 on gigaom.com titled “Is journalism as we know it becoming obsolete?” the argument that journalism is dead is fought. Ingram’s main argument in this article is that anyone can be and usually is a journalist at least once in their daily lives. Whether that is someone live-tweeting a concert or posting a picture of storm damage on Facebook, they are being journalists at that moment. It can also be argued that when people who are not trained in journalism try to be journalists ethics will be broken. Ingram states that popular newspapers have done worse (sites the News Corp.’s phone hacking incident).

If you describe journalism as printed daily newspapers then the argument can be made that it is dying, or becoming obsolete. But journalism is more than that. Journalism is morphing into and interactive environment where readers can instantaneously give feed back to the writer of an article through comment sections in stories on-line. Its also morphing into a place where the “journalist” can directly talk with a viewer over a lifestream. Some examples of this are shows on Twitch.tv like Collin and Greg Live, Up at Noon, and The Attack. These shows have a couple things in common. First they all talk about video games and technology. Second they all have a live chat where viewers can include themselves in the show by asking questions and stating their own opinions of technology news. This is good for journalism. It is making news more interactive and there by making the news more entertaining. Ultimately, this will become the future of journalism. Where readers or viewers will be able to directly influence what is to be talked about.

So is journalism becoming obsolete? The answer: absolutely not. Sites like Reddit, Facebook, Twitter, and even Vine are allowing people to participate in spreading news. Journalism is morphing into a more entertaining medium and ultimately will grow into more of a public influenced format.

Post photos courtesy of Sodapop.com

Actions

Information

30 responses to “Journalism is not obsolete, its morphing.”

31 08 2015
  fuglsang (16:12:42) :

Good addition of an image, Austin. Interactive and instantaneous is a good way to frame the differences. The ability for everyone to contribute and comment may be good for the media (attracts eyes), but whether it is good for society remains to be seen. (Yeah, I’m that guy.)

7 09 2015
  fuglsang (19:10:40) :

No news comment this week in either class, Austin. DO
better next week. Don’t get behind.

Any chance you could interview someone, not
necessarily Jade, to get caught up on that assignment.

30 01 2017
  Job Search Engine (08:16:36) :

It¡¦s really a cool and useful piece of information. I am glad that you just shared this useful info with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

9 02 2017
  altadefinizione (15:31:26) :

It¡¦s really a cool and useful piece of information. I

12 08 2017
  آموزش سئو (18:57:42) :

ساخت لینک سئو یکی از مباحث مهمی است که باید در سئو و ارتقای سایت به آن اهمیت داده شود.

12 08 2017
  اخبار (18:59:24) :

نمایش پدران، مادران، فرزندان به کارگردانی آرش عباسی در تالار قشقایی مجموعه تئاتر شهر به روی صحنه نمایش میرود.

28 08 2017
  Film striming (19:28:43) :

Some genuinely interesting info , well written and broadly user pleasant.

28 08 2017
  Stream film (20:55:49) :

You made several good points there. I did a search on the topic and found most folks will consent with your blog.

29 08 2017
  Jason Spencer Dallas (00:57:27) :

Hello, you used to write magnificent, but the last few posts have been kinda boringK I miss your great writings. Past few posts are just a little bit out of track! come on!

29 08 2017
  chat (10:05:16) :

Good write-up, I’m regular visitor of one’s site, maintain up the excellent operate, and It’s going to be a regular visitor for a lengthy time.

29 08 2017
  Navigieren Sie zur Seite ... (14:36:45) :

I am impressed with this internet site, really I am a big fan .

29 08 2017
  elevated man lift (16:39:53) :

Real superb visual appeal on this web site, I’d value it 10 10.

30 08 2017
  iPhone (01:17:10) :

Lovely site! I am loving it!! Will come back again. I am taking your feeds also.

30 08 2017
  corporate video (14:14:53) :

Wonderful web site. Plenty of useful info here. I’m sending it to several pals ans also sharing in delicious. And naturally, thanks in your sweat!

30 08 2017
  hudson valley video production (19:39:14) :

I do enjoy the manner in which you have framed this specific difficulty plus it really does present me a lot of fodder for consideration. Nonetheless, because of just what I have seen, I just hope as the commentary stack on that people today remain on point and in no way start on a soap box involving the news du jour. All the same, thank you for this exceptional piece and while I can not really go along with the idea in totality, I value the point of view.

5 09 2017
  jason spencer dallas (06:47:23) :

I got what you mean , appreciate it for putting up.Woh I am lucky to find this website through google. “You must pray that the way be long, full of adventures and experiences.” by Constantine Peter Cavafy.

5 09 2017
  Jason Spencer Student Loan (20:35:52) :

You really make it seem so easy along with your presentation but I find this matter to be actually something which I feel I would never understand. It seems too complex and very huge for me. I am having a look ahead to your subsequent put up, I will try to get the hold of it!

27 09 2017
  best residential architects chicago (16:30:32) :

I have recently started a site, the info you provide on this site has helped me tremendously. Thanks for all of your time & work.

29 09 2017
  Site like e bay (15:44:11) :

You have remarked very interesting details ! ps nice internet site.

4 10 2017
  Learn More (03:53:32) :

It is in reality a great and useful piece of information. I’m glad that you shared this useful information with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

4 10 2017
  26 (07:45:46) :

You actually make it seem really easy together with your presentation but I to find this matter to be actually something which I believe I’d never understand. It sort of feels too complex and extremely vast for me. I’m having a look forward for your subsequent submit, I will try to get the dangle of it!

25 10 2017
  ginger juice (05:08:51) :

Good day! I simply wish to give an enormous thumbs up for the great information you could have right here on this post. I will likely be coming back to your blog for more soon.

28 10 2017
  wszywki pErsonalizowane (13:32:02) :

Would you be fascinated with exchanging links?

29 10 2017
  patizonet (00:58:57) :

You are my intake, I possess few web logs and rarely run out from to post .

29 10 2017
  biuro (06:54:42) :

Outstanding post, I think blog owners should learn a lot from this weblog its very user genial.

29 10 2017
  doradca finansowy trzeBnica (13:12:12) :

Whats up very nice web site!! Guy .. Excellent .. Wonderful .. I’ll bookmark your web site and take the feeds additionallyKI am glad to search out a lot of helpful info here in the submit, we need develop more techniques in this regard, thank you for sharing. . . . . .

29 10 2017
  www.chrispaintingservices.com (20:45:18) :

I cling on to listening to the reports speak about receiving free online grant applications so I have been looking around for the best site to get one. Could you tell me please, where could i get some?

3 11 2017
  amfam bill pay (02:39:29) :

hey there and thank you on your information – I have definitely picked up something new from proper here. I did on the other hand experience some technical points the use of this site, as I experienced to reload the web site a lot of occasions previous to I may get it to load correctly. I had been pondering if your web hosting is OK? Not that I’m complaining, however sluggish loading cases instances will very frequently affect your placement in google and could injury your high-quality score if ads and ***********|advertising|advertising|advertising and *********** with Adwords. Well I am adding this RSS to my email and can look out for much extra of your respective exciting content. Ensure that you update this again soon..

4 11 2017
  lodyrolls (14:15:17) :

Oh my goodness! a tremendous article dude. Thank you Nevertheless I’m experiencing issue with ur rss . Don’t know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anybody getting an identical rss downside? Anyone who knows kindly respond. Thnkx

5 11 2017
  sesja Ślubna piekary śląskie (00:51:38) :

As I site possessor I believe the content material here is rattling magnificent , appreciate it for your efforts. You should keep it up forever! Good Luck.